For the first time, I can't justify an Apple Upgrade (MPB)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikhailov, Jun 11, 2012.

  1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #1
    I really want the new Macbook Pro, but if I sell my "Ultimate" specced 2010 Macbook Air, I will not even come up with half the price of the Retina MBP. $2700 just seems way too steep for me.

    I loves me some Retina Display too...very sad. Maybe XMas time.
     
  2. fs454 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles / Boston
    #2
    Wait for a refresh! I'm funding my purchase by selling my 2010 Macbook Air and my 8-core Mac Pro. I really need to consolidate at this point because I'm going to need to start traveling between LA and Boston, but if I wasn't in a rush to do this I wouldn't mind waiting. I wouldn't compromise by purchasing anything else, our Airs are still awesome machines. I'd just hold out until you have the cash and jump when you can.
     
  3. iMusings macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2009
    #3
    Amen, it is risky to buy a Rev-A product anyway. I am hoping the old 15" Macbook Pro will live on for a while more... or perhaps have the Retina screen option made available for it in a later refresh.
     
  4. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #4
    Yeah. Time to start storing away some savings. It's not really needed anyway, but it is desired.

    I might be better off upgrading to the higher model Macbook Air anyway.
     
  5. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    Well if I'm going to get a Retina MacBook Pro, I would want to upgrade everything since nothing is user-upgradeable. Personally I'm a bit queasy when it comes to blowing $4200+ on a laptop computer.
     
  6. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #6
    Yeah that's a bit obscene for a computer.
     
  7. fs454 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles / Boston
    #7


    You just need to be smart when you configure it. There's no reason to drop another $250 on the upgraded processor in the high end model. There's a 100mhz difference between the two, not a big deal. the 700GB SSD is also a waste as the cost doesn't justify the increase. 512GB is more than enough solid state storage! That stuff is immensely expensive. Later on when SSD prices go down you can most definitely upgrade it.

    16GB of RAM is a must, though, as it isn't upgradeable.

    Find a student to buy the thing for you. I'm a student for another few months, the discount is $250.
     
  8. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #8
    I am a student. Going for my masters. Plus I'm a teacher, so I qualify anyway. I'd be looking at about $2700. Maybe I can sell the Air and finance the extra $1500 in a few months.

    Still need to wait.
     

Share This Page