for the love apple, please HELP me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hachsa, Apr 22, 2011.

1. hachsa macrumors newbie

*of apple

I got the newest 13" macbook pro back when it first released. And I've already ruined it. Long story short it got wet through the fan ports in the back and on the side where all the USB ports are. I dried it off. Took off the bottom case, dried of the chips and stuff. Couldnt get the battery out because for some freifcxz reason the screwdriver can take out the screws for the bottom case, but not the battery even though they look the same. I was planning on taking out the battery and doing the rice trick, but since i cant ive just left upside down teepee style back is in front of a fan. I'm extremely worried. Im a college student, I dont have the money to buy another one.

2 things.
    1) Is it possible to fix??
    2) A rough estimate of how much it would cost to get it fixed if I dropped by the Apple store?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

It sounds like you've done what you can to dry it out--now you just have to let it dry out completely overnight with the fan blowing on it. And letting it sit a couple of days with the fan might be a good idea.

The less than good news is that if it got wet, it may well have shorted out--which would necessitate replacing the affected parts. Given the nature of the construction, you could well be looking at a logic board, which is not cheap.

If drying it out doesn't work, and you do have to take it in, be as nice as possible and see if the folks at Apple are nice back. They can be but are not required to. Good luck.

3. asma123 macrumors newbie

if you still having no luck with it pm me as I repair logic boards for work. not all are fixable so depending on what the problem is it may be fixable. I just fixed this 13" mbp i bought for $300 and sold for $850 ;)

you'd have to ship it for me to take a look at it. I'm in vancouver, BC canada

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

the thing about wires and electronics is as long as you get them COMPLETELY DRY and it wasn't ON while it was wet, its will work perfectly once its COMPLETELY DRIED. if the ENTIRE machine is COMPLETELY DRY 100%, it should work just fine when you turn it back on. the problem most people have is having it turned on when it gets wet or turning it on too soon after it gets wet and then fries a bunch of stuff. id keep it in front of a fan for like 3 days and then let it set outside in the heat and let it dry even more for like 2 days. then try it out and you should be good to go

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Anything can be fixed it`s just a matter of money.
    Apple may take pity on you but it`s not likely TBH, any signs of liquid inside (i.e. the moisture sensors have been tripped) and you are out of luck.
    How much depends on what`s been damaged, if it`s the logic board then it`s an expensive job I`m afraid.

Do you have a household insurance policy you could claim on??

6. hachsa thread starter macrumors newbie

does anyone know where these water sensors are located?

7. wpotere Guest

Why, you planning on telling a lie about what happened?

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Don't bother trying to hoodwink them, Id just take it in, be as honest as possible, and hope you get a nice Genius. Ive spilt several energy drinks on my White MacBook, and when the O key stopped working as it got stuck down because I was honest and they know me (Sometimes having too many macs is a good thing) - and because it wasnt a massive repair I just went in and they gave me a new "O" key for free and quickly cleaned out under the key where the residue was... the machine worked fine once I dried it out and did a quick check inside to check that the drink wasnt hanging around - it all works fine, and hasnt broken in the 14 months since this happened, so you should be in good shape once its dry.

9. hachsa thread starter macrumors newbie

haha no, i just, for myself, wanted to see what it looked like. Im not stupid, no point in lying to people who can see if it was water damaged.

anyways, they're fixing it for free from a $755 value, which is awesome, apparently there is a new policy that lets them fix it ONE time within warranty. =)

on another note, apple "geniuses" are kinda douchebaggy. This guy was all yawning and stetching as he explained this to me. And he was alll "Yeah now we have the poooowwweeer to do this. Youre lucky you goot meee."
    seriously?

But yeah im thankful. haha :D

10. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Some are cool and some a douches. He's probably been doing it a while and hates his job. It's great they're fixing it for you though. I'd put up with as much arrogance as necessary.

11. vant macrumors 65816

There isn't a public policy that I am aware of that they are allowed one accidental repair for 'free'.

There is cases of goodwill where Apple will pay for the repair up to the discretion of the genius.

As for their attitudes, they get paid $14-$18 based on glassdoor. What do you expect?

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I assume that by "douchebaggy" you mean "nice guy who saved my butt for free". We should all be so "douchebaggy"