Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihatephish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I'm a big dude, 6'5", 250#s and I'm getting the 38mm. I cannot stand this new "big watch" trend. So obnoxious. I'm not worried about the smaller one being considered feminine.

Now I'm just torn on which model. Was sold on the sport earlier, but now thinking ss because of band options.

Last edited:

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
I'm a big dude, 6'5", 250#s and I'm getting the 38mm. I cannot stand this new "big watch" trend. So obnoxious. I'm not worried about the smaller one being considered feminine.

Now I'm just torn in which model. Was sold on the sport earlier, but now thinking ss because of band options.

I'm not about to spend an extra $50 to look "manly." Lol

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003

Now I'm just torn on which model. Was sold on the sport earlier, but now thinking ss because of band options.

Will it fit you? My wrist is large enough that even the largest band for the 42mm is not large enough to make it around my wrist.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I'm not about to spend an extra $50 to look "manly." Lol

It's not just an issue of "manliness" ... tho 42mm measured by height on a watch isn't even that large by watch standards. If people thought the bigger screens of the iPhone 6 were important, then imagine just how much more usable the larger screen of the 42mm watch is going to be? plus extra battery life. It's really sort of a no brainer unless someone is dead set on making an exact fashion statement with the 38mm model. Apple may be making homages to the world of watchmaking with the Apple Watch but it is still a piece of new technology first and foremost, which means it has to actually do stuff.

Jus711

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Leaning towards 38mm-if I get one at all, since I'm conditioned to wait for Gen 2 apple products and Id like it to be a bit less bulbous.

I'm 6' 185 lbs, so not "small" by any stretch, I just like things to fit, I don't get hung up on size. I have shirts that are size small, and some that are large, just depends on who's making it and what they're idea of what those terms mean. I guess I have relatively small wrists and the Tag Heuer I currently have is more in line with the 38mm size, I can see the argument for the bigger screen and usability, I was scared the 6 plus would be too big, but it felt normal to me almost instantly and I've never had a problem one-handing it, but it can go in my pocket I don't have to wear it.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
It's not just an issue of "manliness" ... tho 42mm measured by height on a watch isn't even that large by watch standards. If people thought the bigger screens of the iPhone 6 were important, then imagine just how much more usable the larger screen of the 42mm watch is going to be? plus extra battery life. It's really sort of a no brainer unless someone is dead set on making an exact fashion statement with the 38mm model. Apple may be making homages to the world of watchmaking with the Apple Watch but it is still a piece of new technology first and foremost, which means it has to actually do stuff.

Well, I will know for sure on the 10th of April. However, your rationale is much different than the OP's. Yours is based on sound logic and critical thinking. My response is to an immature unsubstantiated feeling of "will people make fun of me and say I bought a ladies watch?!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.