Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those of you who own both...was it worth it?

• Yes it was and Id do it again and again

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • At first it was, but I ended up forfeiting the rmini and kept the air

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • At first it was, but I ended up forfeiting the air and kept the rmini

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • No it wasnt and I wouldnt do it again

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I dont own both yet but I do plan on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont own both but I am/have been considering

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
How do you find your experiences so far having both in your life?

As much as I hate to say it, I now have both the Air plus rmini - both 16GB in black. Have the air in a Waterfields all suede slim sleeve and the rmini in a one piece clear hard shell + magnetic cover. If you recall, I had both for the whole month of Dec while I was deciding between the two. After all the back and fourth I opted for the Air. But with a recent sale on the rmini, i actually picked up an rmini again as (as much as I love my air, and still prefer it in a lot of ways), theres still times here and there where I find the rmini more practical. I do believe that, because both are so different in size, both can have its own purposes in ones life without feeling redundant.

I never would have thought, I would be having 2 ipads at once. :confused:

Last edited:

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
When the Air was released I went and purchased one. I then decided when the rMini was released it it would be better for me as I like to carry it in my handbag so I returned the Air. I am now missing the air and thinking I might purchase another one just to use at home and still have the rmini for when I am out.

Decision decisions.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I purchased the 128gb Air LTE first and love it but found that it was a little oversized out in the field. Just purchased the rMini LTE air for the field and it is shocking how much more easy it is to use while walking around.

If you have the money, both devices are really nice. :apple:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My thoughts all along - different size, different purpose. It's all good.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Me and my girlfriend share each others iPad, I probably would of bought one if she didn't want one. The smaller form factor would come in handy at times. Definitely worth the buy.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I can't imagine having multiple iPads. Things don't stay in sync perfectly enough as it is between iphone and ipad. Well enough, but enough that I know each device has some different stuff between some apps.

I have the Air, fiance has the rMini.

Air hands down was the right choice for me. Webpages hard to read on the rmini without zooming in and out, etc, tedious.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I don't holiday much but I'm currently abroad and really wish I had an iPad mini. I have an air but constantly feel it's the wrong size for a tablet (too big). The mini always feels perfect in my hand, in store.

Considering buying a mini but might wait for a new release. Early bought one just for my holiday. iPad Air for me is definitely a stay at home device.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I have an iPad Air, which is used either at home or with me when I go work offshore. My wife has a retina Mini.

Both in a Moshi Versacover.

If I had to choose only one, I would go with the Mini - since I usually surf the web in landscape on the Air anyway, just as I do on the Mini.

Both wonderful - but the size and portability of the mini is ideal, and was really useful on a recent trip back to the UK for directions, maps etc while wandering around London.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
My rmini 32 gb lte goes with me. It's so portable and easy to use. My 128 gb lte air stays home as a media hub. Movies, games, etc. my family uses the air everyday.

I recently went to Florida, drove. My kids each were entertained having 2 iPads for watching movies and playing games.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have Original Mini and iPad Air.

The Mini is essential when I leave the house. Wifi only as most places I go have guest wifi. I also use it for reading in bed.

The Air stays at home and is used for everything!!

Truly the best of both worlds.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My first iPad was the original Mini and now have the Retina Mini. Today, I'm going to be buying an iPad Air to use at home.

I already have a 128GB cellular Retina Mini so I'm just going to buy a WiFi Air.

I take my Mini with me every day and it fits in my cars storage console, an Air wouldn't.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Personally, I just have the Air at this point, but my mother came for a visit and I let her try my original iPad mini, and she found it so convenient to carry outside the house that she took it home with her. So she now has three iPads -- iPad 2, Air and original mini. She uses the two full size iPads as second and third screens to her MacBook Air, and the mini will be for when she goes out.

So basically, if you can afford it, I see nothing unusual in wanting to have both an Air and a mini. Me, I just rely on my iPhone when I'm running around outside, and the Air is mostly used indoors and while sitting down on buses and trains. But if you find that you have a use for both Air and mini in your life, go for it, and stop worrying that it is odd, or not worth it. If you like having both, then that's enough reason to have both.

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
I have a 16 gig air and a 32 gig lte retina mini only reason is i got sick deals on both. I got the air around xmas and just got the mini 2 weeks ago. I was planning on craigslisting the air since i got the lte rmini cuz the air is just wifi But im having trouble parting with it.. The air is not much bigger than the mini. ..it has an even cool white no yellow screen and i love the screen size The colors on the air are better than on the rmini. For those who dont think there is much difference between the two then go to minnesota vikings website on both the air and rmini and check out the purple color. The rmini cant do purple cuz of lower color gamut. Also reds are orangy and othercolors are a bit washed out....but if u dont have them side by side then it wont bother you too much. Also on the air i I dont have to pinch and zoom as much...and the air speaker sound is louder than the rmini. Its even better sounding with my speck folio case with speaker cups that directs the sound toward me
But the rmini with the lte fits real nice in my back beltline cuz of its small size and i do prefer it over the air
when im on the go. So i may keep them both

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.