for the people who say 2.1 isn't good enough.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Shut up.

"Waaaahhh Apple didn't give me everything I wanted!!! WAAAAAAHHH!!!!"

Apple went in the absolute right direction for this update. They fixed what NEEDED to be fixed! Should this have been already in 2.0? Probably, I don't debate that, but it wasn't. So this is a significant improvement and exactly what apple needed to do. Can you even IMAGINE the complaints if, yay we now have c&p and video recording and blah blah, BUT uh oh.. still some crashing apps... backups still take several hours... Wow, I can't even imagine how upset everyone would be!

But NOW this is the exciting part!!! Now that apple has finally fixed all the major FLAWS with the software, they can finally build on it!!! I expect 2.2 to have many of the much anticipated features, and, I for one can't wait to see it! :D

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Honestly, I really don't expect Apple to add anything else besides PUSH in a later update, only because they announced it a while ago. They are selling millions and millions of iPhones now, so why should they take the time to add things like copy/paste/mms/video right now when they can sit on it and wait till iPhone 3.0 software in a year or so?

I just think we'll see PUSH in the next update in October or so, and then bug fixes the rest of the way. IF we do gain any useful addons in the future, I'll be surprised. That just isn't the way Apple works. The only thing Apple added in 1.0 to 1.1 was webclips and the iTunes store. I doubt they'd add copy/paste etc.. in 2.2.

3. techguy1 macrumors regular

Personally, I don't feel that I OWN an iPhone.
    It's more like I bought a ticket to participate in the iPhone experience which gets better at every update.

Keep up the great work apple.

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

While I agree with you, I paid for a phone and am paying for service while my phone doesn't have the functionality I expect to receive.

I put up with dropped calls for 2 months (which 2.1 did help, but didn't fully resolve), but paid for service as though it was flawless. I paid for applications that wouldn't work. It still seems as though Apple doesn't have their act together. It's just like they are feeding us these little updates here and there just to keep us satisfied.

Here we are after 2 months of having a phone, and they are JUST NOW making it functional, and now we're happy? All I'm saying is there just shouldn't be this many bugs in this software. I thought Apple was held at a higher standard for this type of thing? Guess they're losing their touch.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

For me the phone has always been functional. I had some sms and contact lag before 2.1 but that's it.

People have to remember that this is apple's 2nd phone and it still is better than a lot of phones out there and apple will always release updates to make it even better. How many other phones out there have regular firmware updates?

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

How many other phones need this many updates?

This is Apple's second phone, that's exactly the point! Why didn't they have any of these issues with their first generation phone!?? Sure they added some features, but they also created issues where there were no issues before:eek:

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

All the phones I've had had their share of problems: crashing, dropped calls, whatever. None of those phones had firmware updates to make them better. And we're talking about companies that have been in the phone business for a while, motorola, nokia...

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Really? I've had Sprint, Verizon, Nextel (pre-merger), and AT&T, and I've never had dropped calls while still in signal range. I'm dropping calls with full service even after the 2.1 upgrade...

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm in Portugal so the phone carriers are different but I used to have a lot of dropped calls with my old phone, with full signal, and I only had one dropped call with my iPhone, and I was in the subway so the signal wasn't very strong.

10. joebokeh macrumors member

We get a lot of crybaby posts cuz well, most iPhone users are spoiled....Most of them are too young to understand what they have...

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I realize the iPhone is a great phone - that's why I bought it and that's why I'm paying an outrageous monthly bill for it. That's exactly why I think we should have some basic features and functionality though.:)

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Dream on.

13. joebokeh macrumors member

Not specifically pertaining to you, but there are lots of posts of wanting more and more... There was a "2.2" thread created like seconds after 2.1 was released...

14. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

i unjailbroke mine for 2.1.... def worth it, incredibly stable!! no texting lag woohoooooooooooooooo :D:apple:

15. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

That's not necessarily why they're complaining. Personally, all I asked for was an update that fixes all the bugs rather than introduce yet another bunch of features. And for the most part, 2.1 did fix bugs. But it also introduced new ones. Tons of people are reporting abysmal battery life after installing 2.1, and apparently this is caused by apps that keep running in the background and drawing power like crazy.

Frankly I would rather put up with SMS lag, Contacts lag, slow-as-molasses application installation and the occasional dropped call, than have a phone that bleeds the battery dry twice or three times as quickly as with the previous version. So excuse me for not wetting my pants in joy and eternal gratitude.

16. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Also, to add on to my initial post, We have to understand that Apple isn't a magic company. They have restraints on them by time, technology, manpower, they can't do everything all at once.

With that being said they picked the right things to do first. I know I for one can live with out copy and paste for quite a while longer. In the 2 months I've had my iphone the need came up for it maybe 3 times. All I'm saying is that they gave us the necessities. Now (hopefully) they will work on the luxuries! :D

17. JPP macrumors member

But surely any device that has something running in the background constantly (whether an app or whatever else) is going to run out of juice quicker. Don't like the app draining your battery? Maybe it's the app to blame. Solution - uninstall it...

18. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well then this post isn't directed towards the people with battery issues. I haven't noticed any such issues yet.

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It wasn't an issue in 2.0.X. It's an issue in 2.1. It was Apple's call to release an iPhone SDK and allow 3rd parties to sell apps for our phones, and Apple distributes them. It's Apple's responsibility to make sure that these apps can't screw up the phones. Had the phone been jailbroken, then yeah, the responsibility would be all mine.

Poorly written apps aren't Apple's problem, but the operating system's handling of poorly written apps is definitely their problem and their responsibility.