Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I want to leave Frankfurt, Germany on April 4th and end up in Abano Terme, Italy on the 4th. I want to return on the 10th.

What's the cheapest way to get there?

So far, I can take a flight from FFH (Frankfurt/Hahn) to Treviso (TSF) and a bus on both ends for 150€/person.

Another option is to drive (2000km and roughly 18h) ... which is 256€/RT (not really any savings over 300€/2 flights).

I could find a reasonable sleeper train either :(

I could handle flying or taking a train from any German city south of Frankfurt to Milan/Venice/Padua/Florence etc...

or a combination of both.

As I'm not up to speed with the best travel search engines anymore, I'll offer a prize for anyone that comes up with a more reasonable option.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Kayak but I am truly surprised that you would inquire about budget travel given your responses to others when they seek out a product on a budget.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU

tried it; but didn't find anything cheaper. found it limiting that you could only search four airports on either end in parallel :(

but I am truly surprised that you would inquire about budget travel given your responses to others when they seek out a product on a budget.

i like to travel cheaply. one usually meets more interesting people that way. i don't find 1st class flights/trains worth the extra money.

budget products are OK in certain circumstances. however, if you're buying a durable good like a sofa/chair/bed, i'd rather have one nice item for 30 years than 10 not-so-nice that get replaced every 3 years.

this makes perfect rational sense but it's another discussion for a different day

----------

even the buses (RT for 2 ppl) are more expensive (350€/RT).

it's a really, really nice drive as well (through Alps and down into northern Italy).

just hoping for a ninja.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Hitchhike?

I met someone that hitchhiked down to Milano and bought a chair and hitchhiked back (RT from Berlin in the 60s). Ridesharing forums are an option, but if we're in a car, we might as well drive ourselves and see a few people on the way.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I certify that you're crazy. You literally quoted me 4 times (two are showing due to auto-merge) and had a complete conversation with yourself. Nicely done.

Safe travels.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Be sure to bring back 20-30 cases of fine prosecco.

that was actually 20 cases of Crémant d'Alsace (from France obviously). We're not going to France this time :(

also, that was in a VW Passat BlueMotion Wagon that gets almost 2000km per tank, but we're not taking that car because the autobahn passes of Austria and Switzerland are already on different cars (B-class Merc and our B5 A4), so we won't have the space :(

just cheese this time! need to leave and pick-up my Romanian sausage (that my buddies from Cluj just brought with them!)

i wish you all a great Saturday.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
book directly with hotels whenever possible. This helps a lost if/when you have to change or cancel and you will almost always get the same rate or less than hotels.com etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.