For the Watch...?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rneglia, Jun 17, 2015.

1. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

Trying to decide whether to get the :apple:WATCH or not. Don't love the idea of a wi-fi and bluetooth-enabled device blasting radio waves through my wrist all day every day.

Also, may want to get the iPad Pro this fall, but this shouldn't influence your advice to me.

What should I do?

Is the WATCH safe?

2. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Quite simply, if it was known to be unsafe, it wouldn't be on sale.

The concept of having these senders and receivers attached to your wrist may seem scary but really it's no different to having a phone in your pocket or simply sitting a room with something like a router in it. You're fine.

3. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I heard it is melting the ice and killing polar bears.

All kidding aside, if the OP really is concerned about WiFi and BT and his health, why would you ask people here if it is OK?;)

5. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

You're safe. The Watch isn't going to to cause horrible mutations, like suddenly growing a cat's head. Oh, wait...

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Nothing wrong with having a cats head!

7. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Sorry OP, but you remind me of one of the customers that called in when I started my career, back at the IBM PC help centre. He insisted that there was excess radiation coming from our monitors and it was making his head itch (this was an escalation - techs had already replaced his monitor 4 times as well as giving him a new system unit). Needless to say, I refunded him his purchase and suggested he would enjoy a Dell computer much more than an IBM. :)

Are all of these microwaves harmful to us? Likely. Is anyone going to do anything about it? Not for the foreseeable future.

You can either avoid all tech that has radio emissions or accept the risk and join the rest of us with fun toys. :)

I kinda equate this to first time parents. They're all paranoid about anything that gets near to their first born. By kid #3, they look at their newest eating dirt, shrug and say "Nah, he's fine" :)

Not meaning to make light of people with phobias. I just think they should seek help so they can learn to deal with them and have more enjoyable lives.

8. rneglia thread starter macrumors 6502

rneglia

Thanks all for your replies! I'm still on the fence about the WATCH.

One other thing I'll say is that I know a lot of people are excited at the prospect of a cellular radio being added to the watch. You really want LTE radiation on your arm all day, where there is a tremendous amount of blood flow going through it?

9. rneglia thread starter macrumors 6502

rneglia

Ha, good point! All of us have pretty much drank the Kool Aid.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My cat likes your cat!:)

11. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

Some think the watch is a traitor, but I hear if you slap it 5 or 6 times , you wont have any issues. Unless it goes all walker on you, then you better get some obsidian

12. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Okay, now I've heard it all. Just....wow lol

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

But yet you will hold an iPhone up next to your brain all day right? Which do you think is worse?

14. rneglia thread starter macrumors 6502

rneglia

No, I will not hold a phone up to my brain. I use earbuds to make calls.

15. Twyntub macrumors member

The itch in my left hand got worse and worse then suddenly...

Attached Files:

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Thats great, I now have coffee sprayed all on my iMac 27!;)

VERY funny!

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Just as it stuck me funny. Are they wired or bluetooth earbuds? :)

18. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Given that you are even thinking about this and obviously haven't done any research, I would strongly recommend you DO NOT get the watch. If nothing else, you will be extremely susceptible to psychosomatic issues and will eventually get rid of it anyway. It's already happened to at least one former poster.

19. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

But it's been proven that sound being so close to your eardrums can cause long term hearing loss and there is always the possibility of an acoustic neuroma developing. Earbuds are not your answer. Use a speaker and hold it about 16 inches away from you.

20. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Oh my lord. Scientists all over the world are now going crazy after reading this. You obviously have zero scientific background and understanding. Do you have any idea of all the subatomic particles coursing through your body this very second? If you did, and giving your concern about all this, you would probably live underground for the rest of your life. But some of these particles can get very far into the earth. I really feel kind of sad for you.

21. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

wow we got a tinfoil guy here. I picture the brother from better call Saul :rolleyes: