Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Understood. I have never paid much attention to the 6 Plus. Do the complaints about slow performance go all the way back to its introduction, or did this become an issue with the iOS 9 betas?
I had the 6 plus for about 6 months, it was not as "speedy" as the 6 IMHO the plus is a lemon! I've since downgraded to the 6 and have been happy ever since, not to mention wayyy less app crashes

Reactions: AleXXXa and TommyA6

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Sorry, I don't think you understand how the final week testing period works. You are "testing" the final version of iOS 9.0 (Gold Master) before public release. This means that if there's problems with this version, Apple can release a "fix" on release day, ie. iOS 9.0.1. Hope this makes sense.

9.0 still will be released before 9.0.1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
9.0 still will be released before 9.0.1
There was a case where a release went to a point update right away skipping the actual version release--instead of releasing 4.2 the released version was 4.2.1 (although there were multiple GMs for that version, which hasn't been the case here).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There was a case where a release went to a point update right away skipping the actual version release--instead of releasing 4.2 the released version was 4.2.1 (although there were multiple GMs for that version, which hasn't been the case here).

But we're talking about a .0 to .0.1 release, which AFAIK has always proceeded sequentially.

JozefC

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
Yea, iOS 8.4.1 was smoother than iOS 9.X on iPhone 6. But I will rather stick with my low power mode and iCloud Drive features ...

ANdu09

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
image.png

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yea, iOS 8.4.1 was smoother than iOS 9.X on iPhone 6. But I will rather stick with my low power mode and iCloud Drive features ...
Yeah I tested side by side mine and wifes (she on 8.4.1) iPhone 6 and there was maybe 1/2 second delay on mine on initial app loading on most apps. Some were exact same (calendar). And of course our photo libraries are not exact so photo app may have different load times but overall most apps were about the same delay on iOS 9.1. Once an app was loaded the 1st time going back was pretty much the same on both. Interesting that metal was supposed to increase performance. Granted I am on the 9.1 beta but at the very least I would expect a dead even heat not worse. Not that 1/2 a second really matters and I MUCH rather have the features and such in iOS 9 as opposed to iOS 8. Still Apple is who said performance was a feature of iOS 9 and in reality its not there yet. And yeah maybe by 9.4.1 it will be (for anyone who throws that out there) but that's not what they said ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyA6

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I find it funny how everything on my mini 2 lags when on ios 9 but the CC. Control Center does not lag at all on mini 2, it's buttery smooth, smoother than ios 8 actually.

Reactions: vertsix

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah I tested side by side mine and wifes (she on 8.4.1) iPhone 6 and there was maybe 1/2 second delay on mine on initial app loading on most apps. Some were exact same (calendar). And of course our photo libraries are not exact so photo app may have different load times but overall most apps were about the same delay on iOS 9.1. Once an app was loaded once going back was pretty much the same on both. Interesting that metal was supposed to increase performance. Granted I am on the 9.1 beta but at the very least I would expect a dead even heat not worse. Not that 1/2 a second really matters and I MUCH rather have the features and such in iOS 9 as opposed to iOS 8. Still Apple is who said performance was a feature of iOS 9 and in reality its not there yet. And yeah maybe by 9.4.1 it will be (for anyone who throws that out there) but that's not what they said ;)
Take in mind that most apps haven't been optimized for iOS 9, hence the slight lag on your phone.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Take in mind that most apps haven't been optimized for iOS 9, hence the slight lag on your phone.
Well not exactly. Mostly tried Apple stock apps for comparison. Calendar, app store, photos, itunes store, weather, maps etc. Same results. I did test a few 3rd party like google and the same results. So issue is not that apps are not optimized yet unless Apple hasn't optimized their own apps for their own iOS. Version 9.1 is just slower by a tad than 8.4.1 no other way to look at it. Again it is 9.1 beta I am comparing but consensus is 9.1b1 is faster than 9.0gm sooooo.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Installed one on iPhone 5, it is smooth as a butter. No lag whatsoever. I wonder if battery life is any better.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If you think 9.0 isn't laggy, then maybe you've used it for too long and forgot what the OS is supposed to run like.

or maybe they are saying it because the hardware the software is running on makes a difference. the apps running make a difference.

maybe they aren't having lag because of something that isn't the iOS software and is different between you and them

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
or maybe they are saying it because the hardware the software is running on makes a difference. the apps running make a difference.

maybe they aren't having lag because of something that isn't the iOS software and is different between you and them

I don't use any third party apps, and I've shut off almost every single extra service. What else could it be? I've even done a fresh install. The only thing I have on this iPhone is music and photos and stock apps.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't use any third party apps, and I've shut off almost every single extra service. What else could it be? I've even done a fresh install. The only thing I have on this iPhone is music and photos and stock apps.

which means you still have a wifi antenna, a cellular antenna, a display, a storage chip, a logic board that is not the same one that anyone else is using. Any one of them could be on the way out and screwing with your phone.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Well, then I guess I am special. I've never had problems with iOS releases.

Both iOS 7 and iOS 8 were debacles for me personally; they both screwed up the way my running app (Runmeter) interacts with the GPS. 7 straight up broke it, and 8 threw the distance tracking waaaaaaaaaaay off. So I'd run one mile, and it only only credit me for .75 miles. Anyway, point being, iOS releases tend to be solid overall, but if your favorite apps don't work with it, or even cause issues with the OS itself...

I do think it's funny how some people dismiss the indexing/cleanup that happens after an upgrade after every single iOS upgrade ever. Yeah, your phone is going to run hot for a while, burn a ton of battery, and be pokey. EVERY major upgrade, and some point releases, do this. I'd expect new iPhone users to ask questions, but come on. It gets old.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
which means you still have a wifi antenna, a cellular antenna, a display, a storage chip, a logic board that is not the same one that anyone else is using. Any one of them could be on the way out and screwing with your phone.

No, 8.4.1 worked perfectly except for the Music.app bug. The hardware in my phone is not failing.

Jeeze… some people will defend Apple til the end of the earth.

"Must be just your iPhone in particular!"

When the previous version works as intended, and other people are complaining about the same thing, then I doubt there's a problem with the hardware inside my iPhone.

Reactions: canesalato

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Vocal minority is always strong in forums like these. People who are happy don't even bother coming here.

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Just updated my iphone 6 and damn its laggy everywhere. I though people were complaining just because but my phone feels like an old iphone 5 on 7.1.3

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
iOS 9 is definitely not better than iOS 8.4.1 on an iPhone 6 Plus. Do not comment about it unless you are using an iPhone 6 Plus.

This version is supposedly to be a refinement release, as advertised or mentioned in WWDC back in June. However it is not good enough, not on a 6 Plus.

The 6+ has always been and will always remain a bad phone. It was bad on release day and an iOS update 12 months later is hardly going to improve matters. You can't polish a turd. I'm afraid that 8.4.1 is as good as it's going to get.

As for iOS9 being a 'ground up performance release'...well, it appears to be more of the same from Apple. Since Jobs and Forstall went iOS has been a buggy mess.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.