For those complaining about their watch scratching.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brdl04, May 9, 2015.

1. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

My $8,000 Rolex SS scratches too. Nature of the game.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It's not that it scratches, it's that it scratched within one day of purchase even after babying the thing.

I have some small scuffs, and I know it's the nature of it being a watch and worn all the time.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

I feel like the people complaining about SS scratching have never worn a SS watch before. It's so easy to fix, too.

4. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Agreed. People coming from a G-Shock or something similar are in for a surprise.

5. kinster macrumors 65816

kinster

For those who don't read threads properly. It's about it being already scratched when you take it out of the box.

----------

Some you can fix with polish, some you cannot.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

I have never ever seen a stainless steel watch you can't fix with either polishing, or if it's deeper than that - a bit of sandpaper and then polish. NEVER.

And I've worn watches all my life.

I understand you're bitter about your Watch. But I'd think it's fixable. Do I think you should have to fix it out of the box? Nope. But is it fixable? Yep, more than likely (unless you got a completely defective piece of stainless steel in your Watch that's defective for many millimeters worth of material).

If you posted some pictures of your Watch, we'd be able to help you, but you seem content to just bash Apple and the Watch and proclaim that SS sucks. That's a shame.

7. kinster macrumors 65816

kinster

Well, I tried today with Brasso and some elbow grease and it didn't work FACT. Otherwise I would keep it.

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

Is Brasso even useful on scratches? I (genuinely) thought that it was supposed to be for tarnished surfaces - i.e. if the surface has lost luster.

The Wikipedia page for Brasso makes no mention of removing scratches from stainless steel...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

You might want to try some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. That seems to be the most recommended here.

9. kinster macrumors 65816

kinster

Actually it works on scratches as I've used it before on other items.

10. jukeboxaddict macrumors member

This is fascinating to me. Sand paper? I've got a slight ding in my stainless steel Watch. Nothing drastic. But several runs with Mothers haven't quite fixed it. Getting closer, but I think I'm in need of something more. Sounds like this is something one could easily botch up. Any good tutorials?

11. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I see all these threads about stainless steel watches scratching, and as someone who was watching these forms waiting for my watch to arrive and becoming discouraged by all of the negativity, I just want to add my own two cents:

I have to say after a several days of wearing my SS watch, and not babying it anymore than I do any expensive watch, I don't see a single scratch anywhere. It looks brand-new. I think anyone who bought stainless steel is resigned to the fact that it will scratch eventually, but it has not been my experience that it scratches readily or immediately as other people are suggesting. Not sure what accounts for the difference but just putting it out there.

12. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I too have worn many SS Watches and they do scratch so when I get my SS with Link Watch ( hopefully in the next few days :) ) it won't bother me if I get a small scratch on it the first week.

It should NOT be scratched out of the box, if it is I probably won't worry about it (my opinion only)

13. WilliamG macrumors G3

There's a guy on the boards who did just that. I'm out right now so you might want to search. :)