For those considering whether to wait for new IMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RufusOtis, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. RufusOtis macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2009
    My advice is to wait just a little longer because I just bought a new IMac, 2.4 20". Translated, this means that I soaked up all of the bad karma and Apple will release the updated models within nanoseconds of me actually opening the IMac box. :D

    I decided to purchase now for several reasons. First and foremost, the current model meets my needs. It will used mostly for Logic recording and simple tasks such as web browsing, e-mails, etc. I will upgrade it to 4 GB of RAM when the RAM arrives from OWC. I don't need enhanced graphics for gaming or photos.

    Also, I have decided I would take my chances on the current configuration and let other "early adopters" face the music with whatever glitches will be discovered with the newer models. I purchased one of the first 17" G5 IMac's and never resolved the ongoing problems with fan noise and hum. It appears that the current model is reasonably quiet. In the event I have any inkling of that annoying jet turbine like noise I will return this puppy and pay the 10% restocking fee.

    Lastly, I feel that the odds are probably 50/50 that Apple will leave the baseline model at it's current specs as an entry level device.
    As I said, my purchase should serve me well and I got inpatient.

    In the end I decided I could live with my decision even if Apple introduces an improved baseline model.
  2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020


    Dec 25, 2008
    i agree. my girlfriend's family just got a new iMac and i don't think they should've waited any longer. It was for her Mom and she will use it for Word and to record her voice on .mp3's for her French students.

    i bought my macbook aluminum late december 08.

    i figured apple wouldn't come out with any new hardware for the macbook as they just updated it and came out with their new revision.

    little did i know that iLife '09 came out a month later.

    i bought it too early to qualify for the 10$ upgrade too! ahh well. i hear faces isn't all that great any ways ;)

Share This Page