For those considering Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cubemmal, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

Or Linux, I was reminded today of why I go Apple. My MBP blew up.

Or at least the TB connector did as all displays went dead. Ironically it was during a Bootcamp Windows install. Plink, then no more monitors. On boot it gives the chime but no screen.

I set up an appointment over the Internet for an hour later, went in and after some checking it would be a new logic board. Meaning, CPU, GPU and the lot. Practically the whole computer. Oh boy ... it's only two years old and no AppleCare, and I was thinking of my brother who spilled a coke and paid something like 800.

Nope - 500. I can (barely) live with that. But then he checked and the service center can do it for ... 300. Bingo, I can live with that. It will be back in 3-5 days.

Apple charges up front and discourages tinkering, but they have the best service hands down. Service is at cost as far as I can tell, since it breaks my heart when a computer is down (and my work) this is worth everything else for me.

I'll buy a new Pro, not do a thing to it internally except RAM, and maybe even buy AppleCare this time.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't mean to be the voice of (Windows) logic, but if you had bought a Dell, you can get something like a 3-year on site service contract for $300, and be back up and running the next day.

The whole $300 for warranting an out of warranty laptop was quite nice of them though.

3. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, however you have to run the gamut on the phone first where Apple is just take it to a local store. Also I've had Apple fix hardware that was older than three years and I didn't have to buy any service contract for that. Just pay if it breaks.

So far I've had a TB moitor PS fixed (120), a Pro CPU board (around 200 I think) and this. I have a lot of macs and monitors so would expect to see a few problems. Oh and an iPod, which I realized later wasn't broken but they took it back anyhow (free)

Anyhow it works for me.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

My only experience with getting a computer repaired was an HP laptop about 2 years ago. The screen broke so I had to ship it out. 4 week turnaround, paid about $150 for the new screen. When the motherboard went out I didn't even bother, just threw it out and got a new computer.

5. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Research what credit card you payed with. I made sure to put it on my AMEX so I would get a third year of care for free.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, check your credit card policy. Most will double the factory warranty up to one year. My Visa does this and it saved me when my iPhone power button stopped working at the 1.2 year mark.

I took the iPhone to the Apple Store to get it repaired. Then I made a claim with Visa. I had to provide copy of repair bill and dated receipt (the guy at the Apple Store was able to reprint the receipt for me). Claim paid in full.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Ahh no…

If you are an HP business customer you call a hot line, an American answers the phone and a tech will be there in less than 24hrs to repair at your desk whats wrong.

No trucking to Apple store, no concierge who can't find his butt with both hands, and no genius that is absolutely not.

for my personal builds I just call Jürgen tell him whats broken. I bring it to him he hands me a new one and I go on..

8. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was responding to the comment about Dell service which involves a phone call so they can try and avoid a service call. How much does HP business service cost? More than what I'm paying now (nothing except a fixit), and surely more than AppleCare.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It comes with the price of the workstation, Dell has the same program it's all integrated into the cost of the box.