Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrFinder

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I've been speaking to AT&T reps for days now about this issue, and today one of them told me something different which hasn't been considered on these forums. It's probably nothing, but for those of you who are having really slow/spotty 3G browsing speeds even with 5 full bars of 3G, did you guys restore your iPhone 4 from a back up or did you set it up as a new iPhone? i don't know if there is any kind of relation between this and the issue, but it doesn't hurt to speculate. I myself have restored from a backup and I am experiencing this issue hardcore. The AT&T rep recommended that I restore the phone and set it up as a new iPhone. Is anyone who set up as a new phone also having this issue?

Andru1313

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
This is a great question. I was going to post the same question last night.

I did a restore from my 3Gs so did not set up as a new phone. I have the data issue.. today has been better

hockeydude35

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I also have having insanely terrible 3G data issues (along with dropped calls constantly, even with 5 bars and a case). I too restored from my 3GS backup. Maybe I'll try a clean install later.

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
Hmmmm, I've been having this issue occasionally and I did a restore from back up from my iphone 3G. Can anyone confirm that they had this issue when restoring from back up, and then had it go away when they set it up as a new phone?

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I also have having insanely terrible 3G data issues (along with dropped calls constantly, even with 5 bars and a case). I too restored from my 3GS backup. Maybe I'll try a clean install later.

I'm seeing the exact same thing as you. Originally restored from my 3G backup, then did a full restore to new phone...didn't help at all.

Luminyx

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I have 3G problems. This is my first iPhone. There's nothing to restore. Potential solutions that Apple and AT&T representatives suggested to me:
- Turn Airplane mode On then Off
- Reset to Factory Settings
- Reset Network Settings
- Try a new SIM card; current SIM may be faulty
- Restart iPhone

Restarting my iPhone was a "fix" for my bad 3G yesterday, but by no means is this a permanent fix. I have restarted my phone 5-10 times in the last 3 days, which I don't think is normal. I have not reset to factory settings or tried a new SIM card.

mrFinder

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I have 3G problems. This is my first iPhone. There's nothing to restore. Potential solutions that Apple and AT&T representatives suggested to me:
- Turn Airplane mode On then Off
- Reset to Factory Settings
- Reset Network Settings
- Try a new SIM card; current SIM may be faulty
- Restart iPhone

Restarting my iPhone was a "fix" for my bad 3G yesterday, but by no means is this a permanent fix. I have restarted my phone 5-10 times in the last 3 days, which I don't think is normal. I have not reset to factory settings or tried a new SIM card.

I've done all the things on that list. Still nothing. Still slow. This is ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.