Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
So, I'm posting this because I feel compelled to share my experience with upgrading from a 6S/SE to the iPhone X.

For a very long time I put off upgrading as I was happy with my SE and 6S performance and felt that the X was overkill and didn't have two things that are important to me (touch ID and headphone jack).

Finally, however, I made up my mind to move into the "now" and give the new iPhone a shot.

After reading and researching about the XS issues that some people are reporting I reluctantly decided to go the safe route and purchased a 256GB iPhone X from Best Buy.

I won't draw this out too long but, after a week or so with this phone, I can say "Wow!". I have been an iPhone user since day one going back to 2007 and feel safe in saying this is the best iPhone yet.

I was concerned about face ID. If you are too, put that to rest. My experience has been incredibly positive. It's been responsive and nearly transparent. Love it.

The screen is amazing, the phone is fast and responsive, the size is just right and I enjoy using immensely. I didn't expect I'd care too much about the dual speakers but I'm really enjoying how great the phone sounds now.

Still bummed about the missing headphone jack but the X still comes with the dongle so I've got that. Also, the phone is a bit heavier but I'm getting used to it.

Something else I was dismissive about in the past but love very much now: Wireless charging. There's just something very cool and liberating about simply putting your phone down on a pad and charging it. No more cable.

I'm incredibly obsessive about finding faults and nitpicks about my new phones when I get them and, so far, this phone has given me almost nothing to complain about. Right out of the box it was perfect. Oh, and battery life is superb as well.

Sorry for the gushing but my wife doesn't give a crap about this stuff and I know all you phone dweebs are just as dweeby as I am about this stuff.

So, if you're hesitating because you're "old school" about iPhones, I'm telling you I think you'll be VERY happy with this model. Hopefully, they get the kinks worked out on the XS too.

Oh, one other thing...I put a clear rubbery case on it because, naked, this thing is slippery!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
So, I'm posting this because I feel compelled to share my experience with upgrading from a 6S/SE to the iPhone X.

For a very long time I put off upgrading as I was happy with my SE and 6S performance and felt that the X was overkill and didn't have two things that are important to me (touch ID and headphone jack).

Finally, however, I made up my mind to move into the "now" and give the new iPhone a shot.

After reading and researching about the XS issues that some people are reporting I reluctantly decided to go the safe route and purchased a 256GB iPhone X from Best Buy.

I won't draw this out too long but, after a week or so with this phone, I can say "Wow!". I have been an iPhone user since day one going back to 2007 and feel safe in saying this is the best iPhone yet.

I was concerned about face ID. If you are too, put that to rest. My experience has been incredibly positive. It's been responsive and nearly transparent. Love it.

The screen is amazing, the phone is fast and responsive, the size is just right and I enjoy using immensely. I didn't expect I'd care too much about the dual speakers but I'm really enjoying how great the phone sounds now.

Still bummed about the missing headphone jack but the X still comes with the dongle so I've got that. Also, the phone is a bit heavier but I'm getting used to it.

Something else I was dismissive about in the past but love very much now: Wireless charging. There's just something very cool and liberating about simply putting your phone down on a pad and charging it. No more cable.

I'm incredibly obsessive about finding faults and nitpicks about my new phones when I get them and, so far, this phone has given me almost nothing to complain about. Right out of the box it was perfect. Oh, and battery life is superb as well.

Sorry for the gushing but my wife doesn't give a crap about this stuff and I know all you phone dweebs are just as dweeby as I am about this stuff.

So, if you're hesitating because you're "old school" about iPhones, I'm telling you I think you'll be VERY happy with this model. Hopefully, they get the kinks worked out on the XS too.

Oh, one other thing...I put a clear rubbery case on it because, naked, this thing is slippery!

I’ve had my X since launch and still have it almost 1 year later. I love my X and would’ve loved to upgrade to the XS Max this year, but I’m content with my X for another year. It’s still fast on iOS 12.1 beta 4, and I haven’t had any issues except leaving my phone on the dashboard on a hot day and needing the screen and earpiece speaker to be replaced 2 weeks later. Apple made the best decision with the X form factor. I couldn’t be happier.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I’ve had my X since launch and still have it almost 1 year later. I love my X and would’ve loved to upgrade to the XS Max this year, but I’m content with my X for another year. It’s still fast on iOS 12.1 beta 4, and I haven’t had any issues except leaving my phone on the dashboard on a hot day and needing the screen and earpiece speaker to be replaced 2 weeks later. Apple made the best decision with the X form factor. I couldn’t be happier.

Weird. I’m on iOS 12.1 beta but haven’t gotten any new updates like beta 2-4 of 12.1.

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
I agree with everything OP. This is the first iPhone since the iPhone 4 where I don’t see the need to upgrade to the Next iPhone. I’m still happy with this phone as much as I was from the first day I got it. Apple put did themselves with the X.

Reactions: rotobadger

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I will admit that I’m relieved at how great this phone is. I don’t regret not getting the XS although it does seem like a great phone as well.

But, with the X I still get a great phone that, for all intents and purposes, is nearly identical to the XS and I still get that new phone smell!

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
I think my hesitation is making sure that I'm upgrading to the right phone. I have a preorder in for an XR that I'll pick up on Friday.

You've addressed several of my concerns: I have no qualms about losing the home button, but face ID instead of fingerprint is going to feel weird. I'm glad it's worked for you.

My phone is on a business account, so I can't buy installment plans from anyone except AT&T. Can I purchase from BB, even if I pay for it all at once? The Apple Store will let me do so.

My other concern is with the XR. As we know, it's missing a few of the features of the others. I'll be coming from a 7 Plus, so most of it will look new to me. But will it maintain it's value or some semblance, or will it fell like a cheap phone?

I'm curious as to what the OP has to say. Aside from the obvious, what do you think?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I will admit that I’m relieved at how great this phone is. I don’t regret not getting the XS although it does seem like a great phone as well.

But, with the X I still get a great phone that, for all intents and purposes, is nearly identical to the XS and I still get that new phone smell!

It definitely is a great phone. The specs are freaking awesome. The reception issues kills the chance for upgrading for me... but I have the X so what is the point of spending another grand on a phone I pretty much have right now?

Getting the X, you won’t regret it. :) it’s actually better on iOS 12 than what the X was released with (iOS 11 obviously lol).

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I think my hesitation is making sure that I'm upgrading to the right phone. I have a preorder in for an XR that I'll pick up on Friday.

You've addressed several of my concerns: I have no qualms about losing the home button, but face ID instead of fingerprint is going to feel weird. I'm glad it's worked for you.

My phone is on a business account, so I can't buy installment plans from anyone except AT&T. Can I purchase from BB, even if I pay for it all at once? The Apple Store will let me do so.

My other concern is with the XR. As we know, it's missing a few of the features of the others. I'll be coming from a 7 Plus, so most of it will look new to me. But will it maintain it's value or some semblance, or will it fell like a cheap phone?

I'm curious as to what the OP has to say. Aside from the obvious, what do you think?
Really can’t speak to the XR as to whether it’s “worth” it but it does look appealing. I just didn’t want a larger footprint that the X has as the X is very close in size to the 6,7 and 8. Whether it’s cheap feeling I can’t say either but the X is probably the most premium feeling since the 4. Even better tho.

I had big concerns about the Face ID but, after just a week, I’ve almost forgotten about it. Very occasionally there’s a hesitation but it is absolutely no worse than Touch ID. I’d even say, in my one week of usage, it’s even slightly better speed and reliability-wise. It works great with passwords too.

I THINK you can pay full price up front at Best Buy. They’re basically acting as an agent for Verizon. One thing to note is that you have to pay for AppleCare separately. You can do it in monthly installments or just pay $199 upfront. I’m super careful with my phones but with this all glass construction I got Aplecare. Not taking the chance with this phone.

Also, I highly recommend getting a wireless charger. As I said, I’m enjoying using it more than I really thought I would. Best Buy has a deal now (don’t know for how much longer) where if you buy 3 accessories you get 25 percent off. I got a case, an additional headphone dongle and a charger that came with two charging pads. So I have one next to my bed and the other in the kitchen. Total for all was about $50.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porterhouse

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 2017 iPhone X is a great device, I think the quality control with Apple has always been good, there will always be defects with certain phones and you hear about the most common issues on sites like this. But given the advancements with the iPhone XS Max, the 2017 5.8 X simply just _too_ small and I think the changes for the XS Max to justified the upgrade for me.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I upgraded my 6s to the X last December and couldn’t be happier. The 6s was my favorite iPhone and the X had some big shoes to fill as far as I was concerned. After using it for a few days, the X blew me away. It hasn’t given me one issue(a few software bugs that updates solved) and I feel it was worth the cost considering it will be an excellent phone for years to come..

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
You made the same choice I would. I’ve been considering X->XS because I’m on IUP, but would like to see the reported camera, video, and connectivity issues get sorted out first. I’m sure that they will be, probably just iOS tweaks and carrier settings.

I’m glad your enjoying your X as much as I am mine (6 -> X). It’s been flawless from day1.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Shoot, I feel this way even coming from an 8 Plus to a XS Max. I wasn’t ready for the major changes last year with the X but the 6.5 inch screen made me want to give it a shot and I’m glad I did.

I shared your concerns about Face ID. There are still instances where I miss Touch ID, but Face ID is superior in literally 95% of usage cases. You pretty much forget it’s even there.

Gesture based navigation took all of 5 minutes to get used to.

Never ever ever missed the headphone jack.

A+ for Apple as far as I’m concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.