For those like me who ponder 9.7 vs 12.9

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gmillz22, Aug 9, 2016.

1. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

I've had my 12.9 for a few months now. Originally purchased it with hopes to replace my laptop. I'd say I was 90% successful with that on a "being mobile" front, but I do suggest having something at home to fall back on for those tasks an iPad just doesn't match up for. (I'm looking at you iTunes hardware restores) For that reason I ended up getting a mac mini afterwards. I prefer the desktop/ipad combo to the laptop/ipad combo. Either way the majority of my work is still completed on the iPad e.g. online homework assignments, essays, emails, light gaming, reading, drawing, and lots of web browsing. Once summer semester started up I made it my exclusive note taking option. I recommend every owner try something like Notability if note taking is a part of your daily habits. I also love split screen-a great feature to have when needing to reference notes while typing up essays or pecking out a quick email while watching a video.

Unfortunately, the more I took it to class the more I hated pulling the thing out of my bag and plopping it on my tiny shared table space. The 12.9 shines in landscape mode when paired with the full sized smart keyboard. When typing this is advantageous. However, when browsing the web I still find myself placing it into landscape because its most comfortable for me. Typing in landscape is a no go unless i treat it like a normal keyboard which i prefer my thumbs. When using it to read in portrait i end up resting it against my leg or chest seconds into the activity. The 12.9 is not the heaviest thing in the world but it certainly isn't the most enjoyable experience to hold up.

In comes the 9.7. Admittedly it felt like an iPad Mini for a couple of days. My biggest concerns were split screen windows being too small and the overall feel of the device being too cramped when writing my notes. Split screen is certainly more smushed on the smaller screen, but it is still usable. When placed side by side with the 12.9 i wasn't blown away by the extra space the bigger ipad had in split screen. Could've been my minding justifying for me but even after getting rid of the 12.9 I still feel the same. Note taking was pleasantly "normal" from the beginning. As for the positives, it takes up less space in the office or school, and its a PLEASURE to hold when reading, browsing and gaming. Some say the screen is better, and some say it isn't. I have to say it is. It's noticeably brighter and looks "cleaner" to ME. I also don't feel compelled to have my ASK attached every time i want to send a text or email. Im comfortable tapping away in portrait mode without resting the device somewhere.

I say all of that to end with this...the 12.9 is a great device for the immersive factor. Web pages, books, drawings, and even games are a joy to see on the bigger screen. If you're using your iPP 12.9 mainly at a desk or your lap, its the go to device. The 9.7 is a great device for portability. If you like to hold your tablet up for long periods of time or take it on the go while maintaining a "tablet" feel this one is the winner. The jump from 9.7 to 12.9 ipads are not like the feel of jumping from 4.7 to 5.5 iPhones. Hopefully this helps those that i see going back and forth about the size comparisons and workload differences.

*Personally, I'd like a 5.2" iPhone and an 11-11.5" iPad but that's not happening.

2. max2 macrumors 68000

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's why my 12.9 Pro is my at home device, while my 9.7 is my portable. They both serve different purposes.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I say there is room for both as Steve Jobs envisioned computers as Automobiles no one Truck or Car does everything. As much as a need for Corvettes as Garbage Trucks

Same for me my cellphone is a 5.7 inch Note 5 with an OLED Display at 1440p essentially what next years iPhone Pro will be. Texting and Calls are a breeze

My tablet is an iPad Pro 9.7 fast portable and has an amazing display Websites and Email fly. Watching movies and games are ideal. It's a True Portable Tablet unlike the 12.9 which fails to be a tablet cuz it can't be Single handled wielded and fails as a Laptop because of its inherent limitations. Use of the Apple Pencil remains excellent on the enhanced display and Microsoft Office is free and wonderful especially Notes.

Lastly my 2016 MacBook serves for Editing Videos and Pictures it's gives me that Keyboard and Mouse experience On the go or at Home and Connected to my 1440p IPS Asus Display it's my second main home display. They Butterfly keyboard is a dream.

As you can see 3 different devices 3 different uses and operating systems. I left out my main gaming PC that's connected to my LG OLED TV but that's Windows 10 Gaming and Xbox One.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

What? No PS4?! Kidding. But thats my preference.

7. gmillz22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the 12.9 and 9.7 definitely serve different purposes better than the other. I settled on the 9.7 because portability outweighs the immersive factor for me now. Maybe next year or thereafter I'll revisit the 12.9. I didn't want to keep both out of fear of having preference for one over the other and watching a $1000 investment collect dust. Thankfully the 9.7 fulfills my needs satisfactorily enough.

8. Rocket Man macrumors member

My 12.9 Pro has replaced every iMac, PC or other tablet for me. I just love the screen, sound and power.

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Honestly, ever since getting a retina iPad, I've been using 80% iPad, 10% iPhone, 5% desktop and 5% laptop. Unfortunately, for the 5%+5% desktop/laptop use (file/media server duties, video encoding, backup/restore/maintenance via iTunes, websites requiring Adobe Flash or mouse input, etc), no substitutions possible.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I use both the iPhone 6S Plus and the IPP 9.7 pretty much all time outside of work. They have been the absolute best combination for me. I use Notability and basically never use a notebook anymore when going to meetings.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, the second I opened up my 12.9 iPad Pro I knew I would also get the 9.7 for mobility. Love them both!

12. gmillz22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. There's still those few tasks that requires a computer or is simply more satisfying to complete on a computer but iPads are certainly great multi-purpose devices. I think if Apple went back to the "in-between" device mantra that Steve introduced it as, more people might not be as disappointed when they realize a computer is still necessary for some people/instances. 6s+/iPP 9.7 is a wonderful combination for me that generally enables me to not have to stare at my Mac mini for most tasks.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2016 ---
    Absolutely. Notability is one of the best (if not the best) $5 investments I've made towards my iPP lol