For those *not* waiting for new MPs and do video

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lanervoza, Nov 14, 2007.

1. lanervoza macrumors member

How satisfied are you with current processing performance of your MP? Is it decent for moderate to heavy amateur HD video work? Do you feel a lot of time is wasted waiting for rendering or other processing?

Party on,
    Alex

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Plenty of studios are using the current Mac Pro, so I couldn't imagine there would be a problem :)

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The Mac Pro is more than enough for me.

I don't edit HD but I can tell you DV is nothing for this machine, I feel like I should just be using a G5 because this is almost too much machine for me.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Great question... i do a lot of HD work on my PowerBook... been holding out for the new MP and have three HD weddings waiting on it as its becoming more of a nightmare to work with on my PB.

Hangin in there. :D

5. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

I am running on a G5 2.0Ghz. :D It works fine except when running Motion in HD, then it gets all klunky. But I guess it has more to do with my crummy 128MB graphics card than anything else.

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Are you kidding me?

Yes it's decent for moderate to heavy amateur HD video work.

No I don not feel like a lot of time is wasted waiting for rendering or other processing.

I know that a new Mac Pro 2.0 will be out eventually, and it will be faster. But in August of 2006 when this Mac Pro was brand new, would you have said "You know, it's the fastest Mac Apple makes, and another new one isn't due out for a while... but I don't think it's fast enough for amateur HD video editing."

Seriously, you've been in the Mac Pro forum too long, don't let the h8r's get you down. The Mac Pro is great.

7. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

8 cores with a 4 instance virtual cluster is slaughtering HD video like it was nothing. I scream in abandoned amazement while watching the awe inspiring digital obliteration.

8. Maddler macrumors member

If I upgrade to a frankenmac now, what will my future video card upgrade options be? i.e. - if I want to upgrade to a 8800GT or whatever the hotness is that gets released with the Mac Pro 2 updates, will I be SOL if those cards are PCI-e 2.0 based? Sure, the bandwidth is a major concern with the current octo-core and the SSE4 optimizations would be nice to have for h.264 compression, but the real hanging point for me right now is the graphics card.

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

The only person who could even speculate on this is Steve Jobs.

No one here has any idea, no matter what they say.