For those of you obsessing over NES/GBA on the touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by arrjaytea, Dec 1, 2007.

1. arrjaytea macrumors newbie

... why?

There's no reason for it - it's a kitsch toy that doesn't work very well, yet everyone seems to want. "More ROM's" they say, "Where can I get them?"

The real question should be "Why should I want them?"

I'd much rather see developers putting time into creating apps that are actually useful on the Touch, rather than continuing to see people want more and more emulation of systems that are clearly not designed to have touch screens as their inputs.

/rant.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i suppose its just because they know that it can be done and they would like to be able to put these emulators on their touch. i know id probably want to if it were easy enough (and i had a touch).

3. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I don't obsess over them, but I like playing a few of the games when I have free time. NES doesn't bug out anymore (I play Kirby on it, that's pretty much it), so there really isn't anything annoying about playing it. For the GBA-- that's another story. It lags during some animations, and it's nearly impossible to play action games (harder than NES), but tactical/turn based games work wonders.

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

NES was bad, when I played it... It might've gotten better but I dont know...

the GBA one is alright, i wouldnt play any action game on it, but I play Pokemon on it... I havent played that game since I was a young kid collecting those cards 10 years ago. (18 now)

6. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Wow, sounds like me. :p
    I got pretty good at the controls, my fingers don't slide anymore. The answer: sand down the area in the shape of a cross for the D-Pad! :eek:

7. aki macrumors 6502a

Fair question arrjaytea; I think you are missing the point.

I own a Nintendo DS and the roms I play, and I think anyone who really wanted to play a GBA game would you know buy a GBA - it's not like they are expensive. What is so cool about NES and gpsphone for iPhone/iPod touch is the fact of emulation. Me, I'm waiting for the MAME port. Because I'm desperate to play pacman on the iPod touch? Hardly - I imagine it'd be barely playable. I want to see it because emulating state-of-the-art arcade games of twenty years ago (or whatever) on a handhold phone (or whatever) is mindbendingly cool.

Ok plus I -guess-, it's a little more convenient to be able to play FFTactics Advance on the one machine rather than carry around the iPod -and- the NDS.

8. Tres macrumors regular

Are you serious? You took sand paper to your touch's screen? What the ****... it'll be hilarious when the controls get moved around (it's happened once already) and you have a giant scratched cross on the screen that's useless. Go out and buy a $50 GBA SP if you are that desperate.

9. arrjaytea thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't think I'm missing the point at all - What you're arguing is exactly what I'm saying is a poor reason to do anything (i.e. "We should do it just because we can.").

I would much rather have usable software that actually works (meaning not that it just runs the games, but that the games are easy to control - and no one is going to convince me the controls for either emulator are even "mediocre", much less "good") than to have a toy that's neat to show my friends one time, but worthless in any real sense beyond that.

10. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I agree, there is no point. Help support Nintendo as they make great hardware and games as well. I wouldn't like to play emulated games on the iPod touch because I want the feel of buttons instead of looking at the screen.

11. asmallchild macrumors regular

You did that?

Or you're considering doing that?

Please tell me it's the latter and DON'T!

hahahaha

12. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Oh, I was just kidding. I wouldn't ever scratch my baby!

13. bdsmyth macrumors regular

The points that arrjaytea seems to be missing are, A) because we can, and B) because it's fun. I'm not sure why you'd want to create a thread like this. If you don't want to install them (NES/GBA) you don't have to, doesn't mean you have to question why someone else has. Besides, the latest version of the gSPhone (1.0.0) is totally cool. FUN that's what it boils down to, FUN FUN FUN its that simple.

14. VToX macrumors member

nor would I,
    My life = IN MY iPOD TOUCH.

Sh.;)

15. arrjaytea thread starter macrumors newbie

If you had read the thread you'd see that I have already acknowledged such a **** argument as "Because we can" and further explained why I think that's a god awful reason for doing anything.

And I shudder to think what other kinds of activities you think are "fun" if you actually think playing NES and GBA on the touch is entertaining in the least - I'm certainly at least left to wonder whether or not your a masochist.

16. aki macrumors 6502a

Oh well, I guess it depends what boils your lollies. For me, emulation qua emulation is entertaining. For other people, it's model WW2 airplanes or something. :eek:

17. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Ahhhh lookie, poor likkle arrjaytea is having a bad day. Tut tut, shudder all you want I really couldn't care. It's still fun anyway you slice it so na na nana na etc.

18. James L macrumors 6502a

arrjaytea,

Your points in this thread are flawed in many ways.

You make comments like these:

If everyone seems to want emulated games, then perhaps it is YOU who are wrong and not the "everyone" you seem to be referring to.

It seems pretty arrogant to believe that you are correct, and "everyone" is wrong, doesn't it? You even border on insult in the second quote.

Then you make comments such as this:

...which is based on the premise that if the emulation developers were not working on the emulators that they would be spending their time on "useful" applications.

If these developers wanted to work on other applications, they would be. No one is forcing them to work on the emulators at the sacrifice of other "useful" applications... they are deciding all by themselves what to spend their time on.

Weird, huh?

19. arrjaytea thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah how I love encountering the faux-intellectual on the internet. Allow me to set you straight here.

First, how "points" (by which I'm assuming you actually mean "arguments") that are solely sourced in opinion can be "flawed" is beyond me. I guess I missed that day in reading for comprehension class - either that, or you simply don't know how to distinguish between subjective opinion and objective statements about the world around you.

Second, my "second quote" didn't border on insult - I would say it was near a direct insult, or at the very least a challenge to the level of intelligence of individuals that would find playing GBA or NES on the Touch entertaining.

Third, I do think those individuals who fall under your conception of "everyone" wanting emulation are well entitled to want whatever they'd like, but when someone wants garbage, the garbage itself doesn't stop being rubbish.

The funny thing is that of all the replies in this thread, each of them boil down to "Because we can."

The U.S. was capable of invading Iraq, look how well that's gone.

Weird, huh?

Nice try though, champ. I look forward to what I'm sure will be a long, drawn out response replying to every sentence in my post with a fine toothed, forum semantics troll comb. Good luck.

:)

20. ShanePod macrumors member

Your dragging this whole lame thread on to long I can't believe I read all of this I must be bored. You seem to have nothing better to do then arguing with people that will never agree with the way you think.

21. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Can this post be deleted please. This guy is a clown, plain and simple.

22. James L macrumors 6502a

Ok, set me straight. This should be entertaining.

According to this snippet from post number 15:

You also missed the day in class where they teach how to use your and you're correctly.

:D

So, if people play emulated games on their Touch they have a level of intelligence that needs to be challenged or insulted?

I just want to be clear, because in this one statement you have attacked a significantly large number of people who use this forum. I'm sure they would appreciate clarification on this also.

Actually, you said "everyone" in your first post, not me. Your conception, not mine.

Whether or not it is garbage someone wants is a matter of opinion. Some people feel a nice steak makes a great meal, others think it is disgusting.

Surely you aren't arrogant enough to feel you can say who is right and who is wrong?

You don't like playing emulated games on the Touch. According to you "everyone seems to want" to. Why does this make you right and them wrong?

People need a reason to want to play games?

arrjaytea
    macrumors newbie
    ONLY THREAD CREATED: This one!
    Total Posts: 6

James L
    macrumors 6502
    Total Posts: 513

I have been a productive member of this site for 3 and a half years.

You signed up here a couple of days ago, and your only thread is one you started to whine about why "everyone seems to want" to play emulated games on the Touch.

Now, newbie, shall we do a poll to see which one of us is the troll?

:D

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

it's a shame people have to create topics to be confrontational about things

*goes back to playing my GBA Micro*

24. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

great idea!....hmmm what to play my GBA on -looks at the portable devices of GBA, GBASP, Micro, DS Phat, White DS Lite, Red/black ds lite, gold ds lite-
    curse you nintendo.......

25. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Looks up from playing Shining Soul 2 on his iPod touch and thinks "oh look arrjaytea is still being a twat" and moves onward to the Goblin Fort to rescue the princess. Fun or what!