For those of you using Beta 5, is it stable enough for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Munky, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Munky macrumors 6502

I'd like to start using iOS 7 on my iphone 5, but it is my only registered Apple device. How many of you think it is stable enough to use as a daily driver? Before you ask, yes I am legally part of the developer program.

2. johnseattle macrumors member

3. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

We haven't had too much playing time with Beta 5, but Beta 4 was sure good enough to be my daily OS. Go for it mate!

4. Maagus macrumors regular

Yes, I have been using even Beta 4 on my main device, which I use heavily for work and without problems (there were 1 or 2 app crashes but nothing major).

5. sl33t macrumors regular

I've been using beta 4 as my daily driver and it's been working greta. Beta 5 will only make things even better so I'd say yes go for it!

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It's a bit early for this. The Beta hasn't even been available that long yet. All you are going to get are reactions on 4, or knee jerk reactions from people who haven't had the time to even come close to properly testing this beta.

7. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

While it does run fantastic, it is still a beta for a reason....

I personally keep my business phone on ios6, just because I couldn't afford for the phone to randomly lock up or resoring randomly like ios7 betas have been doing.

But on my personal/play phone, ios7 is solid!

Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't use your phone for important 'every second counts' type situations, then go for it!

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It's too early to tell if there are any major bugs. Although beta 4 was great, we don't know what kind of bugs beta 5 might introduce.

9. Munky thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I figured the topic might get some attention so it would be around long enough to get some good answers...

My ip5 is currently jailbroken but the new iOS features do 99% of everything I really want.

Plus I really want to play with the new iOS :D

10. johnseattle macrumors member

It's been out for 2 months, not sure that counts as early in the tech world but if you wanna call us knee jerkers then ok.

11. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Beta 5 has been out for roughly an hour.... Each beta could introduce new issues, with them still integrating new aspects of the OS

12. Grahamwho, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

Grahamwho macrumors member

Some version of ios 7 has been out for 2 months or so, but beta 5 hasn't even been out for 2 hours yet so it could introduce new bugs that make the experience worse than previous versions. Probably not, but it's happened before. That's what he meant by knee jerk I assume.

Edit: Beat me to it eclipse. Yeah what he said.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Read below

Exactly what I was getting at. I am aware ios7 Beta has been out for a while, it's Beta 5 that we are discussing in this thread.

14. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Beta 4 was perfect for me. It ran really well without any bugs.

Beta 5 hangs on the boot up for a couple of minutes before starting up, so that is annoying if you are going to be shutting down your phone a lot or running down the battery. Could be an issue with just the iPhone 5, or maybe even just my phone. But, I never had this issue before. It even takes a while to do a hard reset.

15. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

My iTunes crashes every time on startup since Beta 5 but most of the other crashes I'd experienced in Beta 4 seem to have gone.

16. Bujin macrumors member

The betas have been pretty solid for me - I've used them as my daily driver since 3.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My iPhone 5 is jailbroken too, but luckily I had a 4S still lying around, so I put the beta on the 4S to play with.

Personally, I find I prefer the jailbreak tweaks to their equivalent in iOS 7. For instance, NCSettings is a lot more elegant and customizable than Control Center. And there are plenty of JB tweaks that are still unavailable in iOS 7, for instance Infinidocks.

It's up to you, of course, but I'm keeping my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 jailbroken until if and when there is a jailbreak for iOS 7.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's up to you. What doesn't work that you can live without? Folks said Beta 3was good for their daily driver and for many it didn't ring on incoming calls. Some people wanted / needed full headphone controls in Beta 4.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but if you have to ask then give it a day or two and see what the early adopters report in the forum. Good luck with whatever you decide!

19. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

B4 was on my daily driver - now it's B5. But there's some re-learning to do in the latest release.

20. ajay96 macrumors 6502

21. DariusX macrumors regular

If you have an iPhone, go for it
    If you have an iPad, don't do it

22. mollyparrot macrumors newbie

I don't have multiple devices for development, so I've been using it on my (only) phone all along. It has been stable enough for me, but I'm also willing to put up with quirks and occasional crashes. Of course, I was also a MS beta tester for many years; I survived the Windows Millenium betas, so nothing Apple releases is going to annoy me much as far as betas and bugs go.

I'd say go for it if you are willing to deal with some issues. Don't expect flawless performance, speedy response times, or perfect battery life. Expect your phone to crash once in a while and be prepared for some 3rd party apps to not work (check the list). I'm running on a 4S if that matters. Worst case, just reset to factory.

On the other hand, the new APIs are fun to play around with.

23. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

24. Ensaladin macrumors newbie

I installed like at 3:14PM of today, it's 7:12PM and I think it's draining my battery. It was 100% when I installed, and without using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, now it has 68%, without using it constantly.

I do it by OTA. Anyone having same problem?