Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Ok, I decided, for good karma, I would share the knowledge.

I was completely stumped as to how to jailbreak my 3G iPhone on 2.1. The problem was that the new version of quickpwn kept giving me the error "Quickpwn has encountered a problem and needs to close". Drove me crazy and I tried everything.

Finally, I got it to work by doing the following:

FIRST: Download the QuickpwnGui120. This is for use with 2.0.1 but WILL work on Windows (without the "needs to close" error).

I got it here but you can Google too: http://xs1.iphwn.org/releases/QuickPwnGUI120.zip

Now even though this is for 2.0.1 you CAN use it with the following directions (With thanks to Houls):

I take no credit for this method. I found this on another forum and used this method to jailbreak my 2.1 on Windows XP after several error messages. This is very easy to do.

Got rid of Error (5), (6), (1600)! Yay!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FINALLY I got rid of that dumb error and restoring my dumb phone like 30 times.

I did this with my phone on 2.1 OFFICIAL firmware previously pwned from 2.0.1, but I don't think it matters. I was also on iTunes 8.0 and Vista.

Here's the way I did it:

-Download QuickPWNGUI. (Easy find on Google)
-Next, get yourself a copy of official 2.0.1 firmware. (Easy find on Google)
PLEASE NOTE 3G or 2G!

And also PLEASE have your 2.1 Custom firmware ready too.

Next step seems to be tricky, but it's extremely easy, just gotta be quick.

-Start up QuickPWN.exe, go through the initial intorduction and select your OFFICIAL 2.0.1 firmware you downloaded earlier.

It'll bring up a cmd window. Turn off your iPhone and Enter. Basically it'll tell you of a process of Power/Home and special timing methods. DO NOT SELECT YES JUST YET!

This is the point where you want to be!

Open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc -Vista) and highlight "quickpwn.exe".

Now at this point you go through the method of the Power/Home combo. During this method your screen will turn white, it's during the part where it'll tell you to LET GO OF POWER. As soon as your screen turns white you end process "quickpwn.exe". Your phone will stay will that white screen, thats what we want.

Thats it! You've done the hard part!

Now open up iTunes 8 and Shift+restore your Custom Firmware and it'll go pass that nuisance error message

This worked like a charm!!!!!

Please let me know if it works for you too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.