Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
There have been more than a few threads on the board regarding 4S battery life being worse than the 4's battery life.

The main changes to the system were the processor and the antenna.

Personally I do not believe that an A5 processor at rest will draw all that much more juice than an A4...at least not a large enough difference to account for the huge differences that some people have been observing between the 4 and 4S

Signal strength, however, can play a HUGE part as to how much power your phone sucks down. The iPhone 4 had a bad antenna due to its physical design. This design hasn't changed much in the 4S, so it stands to reason that they have boosted the transmitter strength on the phone itself since people seem to be reporting that they are getting better mobile connectivity.

If this is true, then it would seem that reality has caught up with the iPhone in terms of the state of the art.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
I think the reason my battery life on my Evo was so good is the fact I turned 3g off. At work I always would flip the data widget off. Tops I would get 1-2 bars. The habit than became normal, would only switch it on to use turn by turn GPS or internet stuff. Result was great battery life. REALLY bummed the 4S doesn't have this option. :(

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
There have been more than a few threads on the board regarding 4S battery life being worse than the 4's battery life.

The main changes to the system were the processor and the antenna.

Personally I do not believe that an A5 processor at rest will draw all that much more juice than an A4...at least not a large enough difference to account for the huge differences that some people have been observing between the 4 and 4S

Signal strength, however, can play a HUGE part as to how much power your phone sucks down. The iPhone 4 had a bad antenna due to its physical design. This design hasn't changed much in the 4S, so it stands to reason that they have boosted the transmitter strength on the phone itself since people seem to be reporting that they are getting better mobile connectivity.

If this is true, then it would seem that reality has caught up with the iPhone in terms of the state of the art.

I have good signal strength, generally 4-5 bars with AT&T... but I'm noticing less battery life and the phone getting warmer faster.

Many of us are upgrading from the same carrier and even the iPhone 4, so we have a pretty good idea of the battery and our location.

Still, a good point for those who switched carriers.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I think the reason my battery life on my Evo was so good is the fact I turned 3g off. At work I always would flip the data widget off. Tops I would get 1-2 bars. The habit than became normal, would only switch it on to use turn by turn GPS or internet stuff. Result was great battery life. REALLY bummed the 4S doesn't have this option. :(

It use to have the option but they took it away :( well it was 3G or edge but I guess since CDMA phones don't have edge is gone , anyways give it a week and battery life will get better I also had an evo and iPhone 4 and definitely iPhone had better battery life

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I have good signal strength, generally 4-5 bars with AT&T... but I'm noticing less battery life and the phone getting warmer faster.

Many of us are upgrading from the same carrier and even the iPhone 4, so we have a pretty good idea of the battery and our location.

Still, a good point for those who switched carriers.

Same here. Back of the phone gets quite hot when charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.