For those of you with a white iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mag1c22, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mag1c22 macrumors member

I just got mine late last night and noticed that out of the box it had some dirt marks on the edges around the back and on the bottom left of the front. It still has the screen protectors on it. It has not even been in my pocket yet.

Anyways I scheduled a genius bar app to hopefully get a new one. I don't want a phone with dirt marks. And now I'll probably have to buy a case because apparently it gets dirty easily!!!

Anyone else notice this?

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

So you got it dirty and are now exchanging it?

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

No , he is saying after taking it out of the box the phone was marked already as if someone has had a look at it etc.

I would want it changing too.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

That's nothing. My ear speaker didn't work right out of the box! :eek:

Needless to say, I have an appointment today as well.

5. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Since when are dirty phones a warranty issue?

6. karebare518 macrumors member

I don't know if it's dirt, but my white iPhone has dirt looking marks on the very top and bottom of the phone. It looks like the paint chipped off, or it was never fully painted correctly. Trying to decide if I want to take it in or not :(

7. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

When it's a brand device and the dirt is not yours.

8. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Sorry, unless this dirt is somehow affecting the performance of the phone and rendering it unusable, Apple should not replace it. Otherwise, everyone with a dirty phone could just take it in and get a brand new phone.

9. canadianpj macrumors 6502

If its a mark thats ingrained in the plastic they had better replace it. On a brand new phone, that's a defect. When I bought my iPhone 4 it had a tiny, grain of sand size spec UNDER the screen. They replaced it no questions asked.

To the original poster, you said the screen protector films were still on? Are you sure the marks are not just on the film? When I got mine it looked like there was a mark but it was just dust or something under the film.

10. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Have you tried it without the plastic on the front? not trying to be smart lol

11. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

did you take the front plastic cover off? you'd be surprised how many people dont and say they have problems!

12. Mag1c22 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it's not on the glass it's on the white edging of the phone. I'm still going in to have it looked at. Considering it came that way. It was never in my pocket and only was on my bed and the top of the 4s box.

Kinda weird if the paint chips and/or apparently gets dirty easily somehow.

It's not really noticeable unless you look hard for it, but I just got it. I want it in new condition.

13. xjet82x macrumors newbie

I had a speck of dust embedded in top front screen right out of the box, had It exchange at att. I had to pay restocking fee and the manager was giving me a hard time about it.

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I actually hate that plastic. That's the first thing I take off.

They gave me a new phone with a working speaker.

----------

Should have went to apple. They would have just swapped it out without a restocking fee.

15. ICYBLUE1203 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the used different materials to build the 4S? I feel like the exposed edge around the band feels like dry ceramic versus a plastic feel from what I remember on my black 4.

My point is... the white gets dirty and chips in a bad way. Anyone?

16. Pooshka macrumors 65816

17. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Those with the dirt issues, or "chipping", if it's anything that was on my phone, try using your nail to take it off and if that doesn't work, slide a sheet of paper between the glass and plastic and see if that will take care of it. That's what I did to remove my specks of dirty :)

18. 2mur macrumors newbie

When I took my white iphone out of the box and removed the plastic cover, there was three small bluish lines on the edge of the front faceplate in front of the volume buttons. I almost wanted to return it, but I decided not to. Apparently they were something from manufacturer or packaging, but now they're gone.

19. madridista59 macrumors regular

i had this issue with both the white ipod and phone. i picked up the ipod in store on the 12th and noticed a black scuff mark that i couldn't wipe/scratch off. the manager was right there and she gave me a new one just like that.

on my phone...right out of the box there was another tiny black scuff mark that i was able to scratch off w/my fingernail. still though, piss poor quality control c'mon now foxconn :D

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I was going to ask the same thing. I understand if there's some sort of defect or damage to the phone when you first get it. But saying that it gets dirty easily...maybe you shouldn't have purchased a white phone ;)

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's the thing with white, u will notice a lot of imperfections and dirty very easily. With black, it hides them very well.

22. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

23. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Actually it's quite the opposite, especially with fingerprints.

24. erasr macrumors 6502

No he's right in this respect. Any paint that is missing will be instantly noticeable, whereas on the black you won't see it. My white iPhone has a tiny tiny black mark too, like they've missed a bit with the paint. Not noticeable but I'd never see that on a black one...because underneath the white paint is black.

Plus, when you drop it, which you will, the scuff marks will show far more on white when the paint comes off.

25. vitog123 macrumors 6502

mine had some marks but they rubbed right off..