For those of you with two or more laptops...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrb363, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jrb363 macrumors member

What do you use them for? Why not just one laptop and one desktop?

Just curious.

I have a 13" late-2009 uMBP that I use everyday as my primary machine for school, internet, homework, media, etc, etc.

I also have my old Dell Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP that I keep around since it was my first laptop, given to me in Christmas 2005 by my parents. It's slow and gets VERY hot while running but I could never get rid of it. I've brought it back from the dead 3 times in the 5 years I've had it.

I also own an AMD :D desktop that I built myself with parts ordered from Newegg. I was bored last summer and decided to build a cheap media center machine to hook up to my 42" tv. It now sits in the corner of my bedroom since the power supply died and I've been too busy to mess with it.

- John

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I WILL have two notebooks when the SB MBPs come out. I have an 11" MBA as my temporary primary machine (sold my uMBP right after I bought the MBA). The MBA is more portable computer (for working in class or in bed), and the MBP is more of a powerhouse, that I rarely actually carry around. Ideally, I'd like a Mac Pro or a high-end iMac instead of a MBP, but I'm in college, so I need a computer I can choose to transport in my backpack to go home when I need to.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have my 2010 13" MBP 2.4GHz that I primarily use. I also have my first computer, a late 2007 2.2GHz White MacBook that has a corroded logic board (hehe oops) but still works. I rarely use that. I use it as a backup computer if my MBP is being repaired, or if I am going out of town. I have a mid-2007 2.16Ghz White MacBook that was given to me because its display died. I separated the display assembly, hooked it up to ethernet and my external display, and I now have a Mac desktop that I got for free. It's a hell of a lot more powerful than my PowerMac G5 with two single-core 2.0GHz processors! But I hardly use any of my other computers. I always go for my MBP if I want to use a computer. I only use the MacBook without a screen for downloading a torrent that needs to take days to download. I have retired the PowerMac G5 to being on display in my room (it looks good with my collection of iMac G3's). Also, I have two iMac G3's that I have just to have in my collection.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

My current primary machine is MBA 11.6 for a time being. I also have an iPad 16GB wifi model.

I am going to seriously consider getting a MBP this year or next year. It all depends on what apple offers.

I wish apple would stop charging that stupid 50 dollars on Matte screen. That's just stupid.

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I plan on getting a base 11" mba second hand because I love the price, size, and it will satisfy all my needs. I think the next mbp update will only be a spec bump so I'll hold out until they do a complete redesign, buy a 13" mbp and then give the mba to my sister.

I don't understand the point of having two laptops either. Seems pointless...

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

One of my laptops is my old laptop. I originally was going to sell it for my new one (which was going to take the place of hte old one as my desktop/laptop, I don't really believe in two computers... well, I tend to just use one main computer and have a tendency not to get rid of my old computers ;) ).

I ended up keeping the old one to keep in the living room for watching videos online on the tv and as a living room computer (so I didn't have to unhook new laptop from all the cables to use it to watch videos on the tv). Plus it's my backup computer if this one goes down (sadly already used it once when I sent this one in for repairs). Sure beats the 400 GHz G4 I have as a backup computer (that thing is so slow compared to my PC or my macbooks these days. But the PC needs an OS installed again so it's not working either, heh. One of these days I might get it back up and running). The PC and G4 serve as my bedstand honestly.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

2006 MacBook (personal machine, secondary to my 2008 iMac)

2010 Dell (issued to me by my employer)

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

well heres what i use my comps for:

MBP: ios apps

quad core pc: just some small daily stuff

custom 2600k pc: video rendering - i render 5 1080p vids a day, each vid ranges from 5 mins to 10.

and then i got my elitebook that i dont use and just sits their.

9. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Since getting my MBP my Dell inspiron has been relegated to a media server or for those (rare) occasions when I need windows.

10. Mik3F macrumors 6502

I have the following in my house

13" MBPro
    15.4 i3 Packard Bell LTop
    15.4 AMD64 Packard Bell LTop
    Acer Netbook
    HP Desktop
    15.4 i3 HP 4520s LTop (Work issued)

Needless to say my Macbook gets the most use

11. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I have the following laptops in my house:

1) MacBook Air (2010) 13" Ultimate - currently in use by me.
    2) Unibody MacBook (late 2008) 2.4 GHz - taken over by my wife when I bought the MBA.
    3) Asus X51R
    4) Acer Aspire 5450

12. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Lol. I assume you mean 400 MHz. ;) And if not, I'd like to know where your time travel machine is located!

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I had two notebook for about a year, after I bought a new MBP. I had meant to sell my MacBook, but never got around to it. I had the old MB hooked up my TV to watch shows and stuff while surfing on my new notebook...

It was a good setup, but after I got my XBOX 360 I found I didn't have any need for the MB (since the XBOX also functions as a streaming media device). So I sold the MB and now just have the Pro.

That said, I'm really tempted by the 11" Air, even though I know I have no need for one... :S

14. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" MBP exclusively for work and a 11" for everything else (toting around the house or when i leave the house).

15. skidmarc macrumors member

13" MBP - School, programming, internet surfing, email, daily crap, travel (when/if it happens).
    13" Dell - Wife's comp., facebook, skype, internet, etc.
    16" Clevo - Stored for later (later, later) use, P4 with (hang on) Hyperthreading.
    AMD dual-core desktop - larger programming projects, 23" display.
    iPad - eReader (wife), rss Reader (me), that's about it.

Need to build a new desktop.

16. dionnfr macrumors member

I have three computers in my house.

Mini - for my grand children to use
    2009 15" (mid) MBP; my primary work computer
    2010 13" MBAir for travel.

17. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Great question....

I really don't have a plan yet! I just use them both. But I end up on the 15" MBPRO more because I like the size of it. The AIR is great, but its small.

18. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I'm sure you can find a way to get rid of the MBP 13". By the way, I love your signature.

19. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I have to following computers in my house:

13" MacBook for my wife
    15" MacBook Pro for me
    11" Google Cr-48 for testing
    24" iMac as the family computer

plus misc. iPhones, iPad, Kindles and Apple TV's.

Overkill for two adults and a kid? Yes. Worth it? Hell yes.

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, sorry, been so long I forgot the previous size (even worse I had to go fix my signature. You're the first person who caught that).

21. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

Why is there 2 different posts asking the same question from 2 different user names??? One is JamesRyanBell and the other from JRB363. Same initials, same question, but 2 different stories. But it's signed John at the bottom of JRB363's post.

STRANGE!

22. jrb363, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

jrb363 thread starter macrumors member

"Double Post"

Reason being, I saw the original thread and without looking at any dates I replied. It was a few hours later that I realized that I had replied to a thread that had been dead since July 2009. Seeing as how that was over a year & a half ago I just decided to make my own. Since there aren't that many ways to ask the question I just used the original question and added my specs. Now unfortunately due to my reply and new topic started both threads have a number of people posting! :eek: :( By the way, I'm fairly new here (joined yesterday, but have read MacRumors for 4+ years) so idk if I messed up or not. :confused:

23. aCondor macrumors 6502

I have two Dell Latitudes. One works and one doesn't. Soon to add another laptop to the family, but this one will be a MBP. Hopefully by Thursday of this week.

What do people do with old laptops? Recycle them? Take them out back and shoot them?

24. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I have 2 laptops because my Alienware does games better. I use my Mac for pretty much everything else!

25. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I have a Panasonic Toughbook issued to me at work (Dual Boot Windows & Linux, I utilize VMWare mostly though so I don't have to switch), it can't come home with me so I just use my MacBook Pro for everything else. I have occasionally taken my Mac into the field though and it's been through the ringer already and is in some rather fantastic condition considering the places it's been :D