For those on iMacs with wifi issues...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bmcgrath, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Try this: http://rys.pixeltards.com/2011/09/04/osx-lion-wifi.html

I purchased my 27" iMac in early Jan and have had nothing but issues with the wifi. It's been a horrible experience for such a great piece of hardware. However having changed the drivers as per link above my wifi has been rock solid with not a single drop out/wake up issue.

Happy days! :)

2. j.w., Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

j.w. macrumors newbie

fingers crossed, but i think we have a winner here...i've gone over 10 minutes without the wifi dropping on my 2011 iMac connected to airport extreme!! =)

Update: yup, hasn't dropped for an entire night...amazing!

3. bmcgrath thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I left my mac running all night. Every other night it would disconnect. Last night it stayed connected! Woot!

4. leman macrumors 604

As already discussed elsewhere, this solution is to be treated with care. You are changing some system files which may let the OS think that it has been tampered with and/or break compatibility with future updates (leading to kernel paniks, boot issues and whatnot).

5. bmcgrath thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I had a look into this risk of this quite extensively over the past few days and it seems quite low. Hence I went ahead to go down this path and I'm really happy I have done so.
    The only downside is that if you use Airdrop these ceases to function. But I'm sure that's no biggie.