For those that got Boot Camp 2.1 installed successfully, have you noticed problems?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jmFightSpam, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Hi,

Specifically I am talking about running Windows Vista 32-bit on a MacBook Pro 15", 2.2 GHz (I believe Santa Rosa chipset since I bought it in June 2007) via Boot Camp.

I got Boot Camp 2.1 to install correctly, but I noticed that:
    1. I had to re-enable sound via the device manager
    2. And more importantly, my keyboard backlight does not function correctly anymore.

Has anyone seen these problems (or others), especially #2? The keyboard backlighting worked just fine with Boot Camp 2.0

Thanks.

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

My only problem was having to reinstall the video drivers after the Boot Camp update. I'm using the 174.84 nVidia drivers on my MBP. I haven't noticed a keyboard backlight problem, but then I haven't booted windows since the update, either.

I guess I'm not being very helpful...

3. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply Keleko. Can you do me a favor? The next time you boot into Windows, can you check and reply back here with your findings. I have since reverted back to Boot Camp 2.0 because I need that backlighting.

Thanks.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Install it, ha! I couldn't even download it. Every single time it would timeout ~ 66% of the way through, or give me an error about how it can't write to the disk.

I finally downloaded it at college (jeez, apple needs to get better upload speeds!) and installed it no problem. I actually found that my backlight on the keyboard works better now.

I'm running XP, it's the non SR C2D MBP.

5. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. What does SR C2D mean? I am wondering if it is a Vista problem, then.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

non santa rosa chipset Core 2 Duo. That's the generation before your computer.

What about your backlight doesn't work now? Is it possible you have to re-enable that, too?

7. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

So with BootCamp 2.0, i turn off the light, the keyboard is lit up and vice-versa.

With Boot Camp 2.1, nothing. I turn off the light, nothing. I press F8/F9/F10 and I get a picture in the window of the enabling, but it is gray and has a circle with a line through it.

I rebooted into Mac OS X, and it works fine. I left the room dark and rebooted. And the funny thing is, that when I booted back into Vista, the backlit just stayed on. I couldn't turn it off, even when I turned the light on. And when I rebooted again, it just stayed on during the reboot process. Not until I booted back into Mac OS X and dit it turn off automatically.

Crazy!

8. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Do these drivers fix the annoying "buzz/winning" sound coming from the Video card? This is a brightness related noise.

If this is a fix, how does one go about installing them?

2.1 reset my screen resolution. My clock in OSx is now always 5 hours off when i go from windows to mac.

9. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

My clock has always been 5 hours off, ever since I ran Boot Camp a year ago.

10. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Ha, were are now on Greenland time :D
    Enjoy this and reflect on the rolling green hills and frozen tundra from your visit to Xp :)

The one and only, Andrew Bird "Dear Old Greenland"