Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

specik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I receive my 13" BTO Space Gray w/ Touch Bar machine tomorrow. One thing I've been wondering since the keynote is related to the Touchbar screen edges. On the left side of the Touchbar, is there a bezel where there is no OLED screen? It appears that way from the marketing images showing the ESC key slightly bumped to the right instead of being flush with the keyboard keys.

As a web engineer, I rely on the ESC key a lot. If the screen doesn't span to the edge of the keyboard, does touch input? Does tapping that dead area where there is no screen register a press on the ESC key?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
I receive my 13" BTO Space Gray w/ Touch Bar machine tomorrow. One thing I've been wondering since the keynote is related Touchbar screen edges. On the left side of the Touchbar, is there a bezel where there is no OLED screen? It appears that way from the marketing images showing the ESC key slightly bumped to the right instead of being flush with the keyboard keys.

As a web engineer, I rely on the ESC key a lot. If the screen doesn't span to the edge of the keyboard, does touch input? Does tapping that dead area where there is no screen register a press on the ESC key?

Thanks in advance.

There is a slight border around the touch bar as seen in the photo. Also pressing the black area next to the escape key will still activate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144

specik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I will definitely remap Caps Lock to Escape, maybe this will work for you too?

Not me. I don't have to change any muscle memory when tapping that top left corner of the Touchbar. It would of been a big issue if the touch area was limited to the actual digital button on the screen.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not me. I don't have to change any muscle memory when tapping that top left corner of the Touchbar. It would of been a big issue if the touch area was limited to the actual digital button on the screen.

I've been up and running on a 15" version since this morning, and while the keyboard will get some getting used to, the esc functionality is no different. I've probably pressed it a few dozen times today while using the machine using muscle memory alone and it kicked in every single time. I'm loving the TouchBar so far. Already using it for normal day to day stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.