For those that plan to "lease" the iPad. (by selling/upgrading)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kriista1234, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. kriista1234 macrumors 6502

    Jan 12, 2008
    When do you plan on selling?

    When there's rumors about?
    When it's announced?
    When it comes out?

    On eBay or craigslist/gumtree?

    Who has done a lease/upgrade type thing with their iPhone(s)?

    This is the first Apple product I plan on selling the previous generation to buy the next generation with.

    The thing is I use it alot for work/school, so the less time without it, the better.

    I purposefully got the 3G/64G one so that I could get a mid-tier iPad2 easier.
  2. rdowty macrumors 6502a


    Oct 5, 2008
    I've thought more than once about going ahead and eBay'ing my existing iPad so that I could upgrade but I've come to the conclusion I'd rather loose $100 in resale value than not have one for 2-3 months. If I could live without it that long I probably should just sell it and not buy the new one either.
  3. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    I doubt I will sell mine, but if I did it would be right around the time the new ones are available. If you are fine being without it, you could sell once there is an announcement, or once the rumors get convincing enough, but then you might end up without one for quite awhile.
  4. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 12, 2008
    Obviously it'll have a better resale now, but I'm thinking the same thing. I can't really go without it (for long).

    Have you sold/upgraded an iPhone/laptop before?
  5. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2008
    Upstate Central NY
    I had originally planned on holding out until iPad 2 came out (as I rarely buy rev 1 of anything), as football season approached and knowing that I'd use it alot while watching football I decided to cave and buy one then and perhaps sell when rev 2 came out, effectively leasing it.

    However I am more than happy with what this one has, and will wait to see exactly what is new on the next version before I decide to sell or not. There ARE some possible new things I do not care about (rear camera, USB port, smaller screen, flat back vs the curved we have now) and others I do care about (an I/O port on a long edge as well as the bottom, front camera, easier printing).

    So i am waiting ans seeing what 2.0 offers.

  6. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 12, 2008
    I originally was in that boat, thinking that I'll just skip v2 and if anything get a v3, but then I thought, I could sell my v1 and buy a v2 with a smallish investment, where as by the time v3 comes out, v1 will be all but worthless in resale value (like an iPhone 3G now). Hell, the 3GS is selling for $49 new now!
  7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    May 13, 2010
    I am selling iPad and going with Android Tablet like Motorola Xoom. Since I have iphone, I don't need two same OS on two of my devices. I will take iPhone and Android tablet.
  8. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 12, 2008
    I'm looking forward to seeing what changes in hardware, and more importantly software the iPad2 will bring with all the competitors on the market.

    Some apps are coded well for it, but the way multi-tasking works is horrible (just scaled up iPhone graphics).

    I'm also curious if they will change how "big" upgrades are handled. Like the iPhone got the RAM jump before the iPad did. Will the iPad "catch up" to 512mb or will it skip the iPhone and go to 1G.

    There's no way I'd go with another brand tablet. It's all about the software, and iOS has it in spades.
  9. dave006 Contributor


    Jul 3, 2008
    Just West of East
    Not exactly. The price reduction of the iPhone 8GB 3GS is only with a new two-year service commitment at the $49 price. You have to consider the $325 ETF so that would take the real price to about $374 before taxes and activation.

    Still indicates a good second hand market for iPhones and iPads.

  10. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 12, 2008
    That brand new though.

    The 3G is selling for about $150-200 on eBay, which isn't very much considering it's only 2 versions old.
  11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040


    Apr 30, 2010
    If your money is SO tight that you need to worry about the right time to sell your current one, the chances are that you should not buy one and need to keep your money in the bank:(
  12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

    Dec 18, 2009
    It also has a lot to do with what Apple does with the upgrade and the lineup. When iPod Touch 3 came out, the iPod Touch 2 prices held fairly well because Apple kept the 8GB version the same and from outside the new ones looked almost identical to the old ones. Later when the iPod Touch 4 came out the 3 prices fell harder because Apple replaced the whole lineup and added some crucial new features that were very visible such as the cameras and the high resolution screen.

    We can't really predict what Apple will do with the iPad at this point outside the cameras. However if Apple does replace the whole lineup with the new model and the new model contains a much superior processor, higher res screen, etc all at the current prices, it's given the old iPad prices will plummet hard.

Share This Page