For those that replaced (or attempted to replace) your iPhone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by br0adband, Jul 2, 2010.

1. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

EDIT: Question was updated considering you can buy the iPhone 4 at many places... simply didn't think to mention them all.

Serious question here so, whatever.

For those iPhone 4 owners that experienced issues that prompted you to take your iPhone 4 back to an Apple Store or wherever it was purchased for an on-the-spot replacement, did you actually get a replacement right there on-the-spot, or did you get a response from them like "You'll need to come back in a few days, we're out of replacements."

That's my big question here: when you went to swap the phone, have any of you encountered that situation where they simply didn't have one to replace your original (or heaven forbid, one that's already been replaced)?

I see tons of threads with people saying "return it" "replace it" whatever, but when I look at this from a fairly typical standpoint, it seems a bit odd that I haven't seen any reports - not one - from anyone that has stated "Yes, I took my iPhone 4 back to have it replaced, and they didn't have any replacements."

See what I'm getting at?

For a product that is advertised as being so damned good, "the best we've ever shipped," doesn't it seem a bit odd to you (whoever you may be) that they seem to have an awful lot of "brand new" replacements, in those "black boxes" ready to roll?

I mean, I could understand if for every 10 to 20 brand new retail box iPhone 4's they may have, they'd have 1 or maybe 2 replacements on the off-chance that someone had a problem with theirs (silly notion, right?), of the 10 to 20 sold.

But it sure seems to me that based on all the reports I've been seeing from people that went in with the specific purpose of having the problematic phone replaced on-the-spot that Apple (and all the other resellers) sure does/do have a lot of replacements.

Already on hand.

In the stores.

Waiting.

Almost like they'd stocked up for such a situation, to a degree that implies they knew such a "mass replacement" was a potential possibility.

I wonder...

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

they probably have replacements. I went to get mine replaced on monday at 4:30PM. the guy went to check for replacement and there werent any left (i saw him give a replacement iPhone 4 to another guy, i guess his was the last one). He said he will hold a replacement for me when they get more. He called me back the same day at 7:20PM saying they got my replacement and will hold it for me :D.

They have brand new iPhone 4 units set aside to be replacements, these are not refurbs as has been confirmed in another thread.

3. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yeah, they're pretty good about having an adequate replacement stock, even with big launches, like iPhones and iPads.

I don't think the return rate (from the threads I've seen) is any higher than the first gen iPhones/touches with the yellow/negative black screens.

5. br0adband thread starter macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Just to make it clear: I never once said they were refurbs in the OP - not once. I didn't even suggest it; I specifically stated brand new (in quotes, albeit) replacements in those "black boxes" (and yes I was careful to specify that aspect of the replacement process primarily because of that other thread).

And I chose not to specify any particular reasons for why a replacement would be needed, just that one was.

I know they're not refurbs, they're brand new units, but the question remains...

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I've tried twice and neither time did they replace it, just followed the company line that nothing is wrong.

7. br0adband thread starter macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Ok, then a question tacked onto the original one for clarification:

Knowing Apple is proud of their iPhones and suffering from a lot of overconfidence in the phone's prowess and lack of issues ("There is no issue."), what would you say is an adequate stock of replacements, an actual number?

Would it be 1 replacement for every 5 to be sold, 1 for 10? 10 for 50? Seriously... what kind of ratio would you yourself use, what would you consider "enough" to cover potentialities?

8. chris.robison macrumors regular

I think you need to try a new phone. I've seen you all over unhappy with your phone and discussing it so much. Why have you not gone in or called for a replacement?

I really do believe some phones just aren't working well, its the first run, it make sense. So take it back and try again. If you still have issues, try again! Then, after that, maybe it really is time to move on.

I've always had such good service with Apple, I don't know what people are waiting for. If the phone is giving you issues, take it back and they'll give you another!

-Chris

9. Sauby02 macrumors newbie

I had a sim card problem with mine where my network wasn't working. Went to my AT&T store and got a replacement phone right away now I live in a small town but there were still a lot of people at the store buying them so they do get replacement phones right then I believe.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

How many "I returned my iPhone for a replacement" posts have you actually seen?

If you've seen 225 of them, that would only average out to 1 replacement phone per US Apple Store.

I have no idea what an adequate stock is. Looking at my local store's page, I see that they take iPhone Genius Bar appointments from 9AM-8PM, in 10-minute intervals. So that'd be a maximum of 66 replaced iPhones a day, assuming that every phone seen needs replaced.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I purposely made my "genius" appointment at the highest-traffic Apple Store around, because I wanted to maximize my chances of them having a replacement.

So, yes. They replaced my seemingly defective 32GB on the spot without any complaints. They also said that there hasn't been enough time for refurbs to be hitting the market. I was given a new unit, but not in the new retail packaging - it was from the cute black box.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Did you have a chance to look around the Genius Bar while you were there? Was everyone else there to replace a defective iPhone 4 as well?

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

See my other post, and this is probably why you're seeing so many complaints on this board.

14. br0adband thread starter macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Since people pointed out (not in this thread) that I seemed to have targeted Apple specifically, I amended/updated the question and noted that Apple isn't the only company actually selling the iPhone 4 nor the only source, there are many resellers and I can't name them all so it's just noted as "wherever you bought it from" or words to that effect.

Sorry if it seemed to some folks like I was going after Apple again with this one, as if they were the only place you can buy/replace an iPhone 4. That wasn't the intention, neither specific or even by implication.

15. dsa1971 macrumors regular

I'm not sure what puzzle you are trying to solve. If you feel your phone is defective take it back to get replaced. I had mine replaced at the Apple store today. I was surprised they had a phone there but would have been fine if I had to wait some time to get it replaces

16. chris.robison macrumors regular

Were you rude to them and demanding?

It seems anyone with a good attitude is having success.

Try again, try another rep, ask for a manager, return it then buy another one.

Everyone acts like they are helpless and Apple is horrible. I am sick of this crap. Take charge, or move one.

17. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

I had a stuck pixel. I went in and they were willing to replace it but didn't have any in stock. So they ordered it and had in two days. Now I have a flawless iPhone 4 at the moment with a kickass incipio feather case.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He doesn’t want it replaced. He’s already stated in the “Jobs says signal issue a non-issue" thread that even if they fix the problem, he’s returning the iPhone 4. He has a Droid, anyway, and this iPhone was given to him. Make of all that what you will.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10379494&postcount=2531

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

No, wasn't rude or demanding at all, though I'm starting to think I will have to be a little more firm and demanding with them next time. And yes apple support has been very lacking with this issue, which again is why you're seeing so many complaints.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

21. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I went for a stuck + button the day after launch and got a replacement.

22. bobbba macrumors regular

Another tin foil hat topic, maybe Apple just thought that customers who could not get a replacement if their's had a fault would be upset/annoyed so they made sure they had replacements available...

23. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

+1
    replaced instantly with a brand new shrink wrapped retail boxed iP4.

24. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Has anyone had their phone replaced due to the reception problem, and got a new one that did not have the reception problem? Ie the first phone had the problem at your home but the new one doesn't have the problem in the same place?

25. rangrbob macrumors member

I tried to get my phone repaired/replaced today at the apple store because a piece of blue plastic that was sticking out from the phone.

[​IMG]

They refused to do anything except pick at it with what I'm assuming were tweezers. When I got home I called apple support and they were told by the store I went to that they removed it all and fixed the problem. The only reason I have this pic is that I had to send it in to prove to them I wasn't lying. I am also having some problems with the proximity sensor if that would have gotten me further I would have mentioned it.