Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f4igrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Don't let all of the negative posts dissuade you from buying the machine. Mine is incredible, so much faster than my old PowerBook 1Ghz, a DEFINITE step up in performance. I don't have the whine, and the heat issue is not a big deal to me. This computer is very similar to my past two PowerBooks when it comes to heat. I have had it sitting on my bare legs for the past 2 hours with no problems, so for most normal activities it is fine. I am sure that if I started encoding a video it would heat up, but I usually do that stuff when I go to bed anyway.

Just wanted to make a positive post, they are so few and far between with all of the negative threads I see.

I have the 1.83 ghz, 1 gig ram, serial# W861712

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
Hey, it's great to hear that the MBP isn't worse than the PB line. I'm seriously considering buying one later this summer. Thanks for all of your helpful comments.

PS You should take some of the last digits off the serial number you posted here, just to be safe

f4igrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
azzurri000 said:
Hey, it's great to hear that the MBP isn't worse than the PB line. I'm seriously considering buying one later this summer. Thanks for all of your helpful comments.

PS You should take some of the last digits off the serial number you posted here, just to be safe

thanks, don't know what i was thinking!

jaisai01

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2006
i recieved mine almost 3-4 weeks ago, and i havent looked back since. great laptop and it does everything i need it too :).

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Mine went back because of the noise problem. Good to hear that some of the newer ones don't have it. Might be a good omen.

yah00z

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
Just an FYI

Mine runs great.

I have a week 20, 2.0ghz 15.4inch 1gig of ram 80gig 5400rpm 128mb ati x1600... No overheating, no whine, nothing. I love it. Also, I spoke with a CSR at my local Apple Store, and they informed me they can take the laptop apart for me, and re-apply the thermal paste, in store. And due to the fact that I have procare, waiting in line won't be an issue.

Look into the MacBookPro everyone. I love them.
Yes, it can be hit or miss. I have seen some flawed MBP's out there, fortunatly they are only getting better.

caralck

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
I thought the apple store wasn't doing the thermal paste thing. I mean, doesn't that break with the party line that the heat is "within specs?"

Glad to hear that perhaps the issues are getting taken care of since I'm getting ready to buy one myself. Does having the 100 gb drive at 7200 make it run hotter? My powerbook gets a tad warm too but since my home is cold, using my powerbook on my lap means I don't need to turn the gas fireplace on. :p

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
caralck said:
I thought the apple store wasn't doing the thermal paste thing. I mean, doesn't that break with the party line that the heat is "within specs?"

Glad to hear that perhaps the issues are getting taken care of since I'm getting ready to buy one myself. Does having the 100 gb drive at 7200 make it run hotter? My powerbook gets a tad warm too but since my home is cold, using my powerbook on my lap means I don't need to turn the gas fireplace on. :p

It's doesn't break the party line, they can say the laptop is in spec but because you want it reapplied they'll do it to please you as a customer. However they might not have said that this would make it cooler or that the original application of paste is flawed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.