For those using a sleeve for the MBA...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by quackinator, Jul 28, 2011.

1. quackinator, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

quackinator macrumors newbie

How do you carry your charger along with you? I'm getting my MBA 11" in about a month, and I'm in a dilemma of whether to get a sleeve or a bag with pockets for the charger. I don't travel much, but when I do, I always have my gadgets in one bag for convenience. Then again, having a bag for the MBA with pockets instead of a sleeve kind of eliminates the "sleekness" factor.

Any advice? I really want to go for a sleeve, but I'm not quite convinced yet if it fits into my lifestyle. On a different note, are there any bags out there that your can recommend that still have a "sleek" look?

Thanks.

Edit: I realize 11" is for the on-the-go computing and portability, and a bag with pockets would be the more practical choice, but it is pretty damn sleek to use a sleeve for the MBA. I'm 50/50 on the decision right now, so I'd appreciate any input to help me pick the appropriate case for my MBA.

2. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

I have the Super 8 sleeve for the 13 inch MBA, it comes with a zip up pocket in the front that I can put the charger, though I carry it all in my messenger bag.

3. quackinator thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw that in the Apple Store and was considering it, but I was wondering if the charger would easily fit into the front pocket. How well does the charger fit into the pocket? Also, I'm concerned about how well that pocket is padded from the MBA so that the MBA wouldn't be easily dented by the charger when the case is banged around in a bag.

4. mfr1340 macrumors regular

use both

I use both. I put my 11'' in a sleeve, then in a bag with all my other goodies. If I just need the comp. I grab it with the sleeve. But if I need more stuf, it is with me in the bag.

5. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

it actually fits really well without the chord extender. I prefer to use the longer chord though and it's only so-so then. And the inside of the sleeve is padded so it does not bump the computer at all. However, you have an 11 inch, so the pocket will obviously be a bit smaller

6. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

If I need a charger with me it means im going away a longer time, then I usually will need other stuff with me as well, or have a bag to store the computer in.

7. No-Me macrumors 6502a

8. ttate90303 macrumors regular

I use an SF Laptop Sleevecase and Gear pouch which I toss both of them into a backpack for inconspicuous transport.

9. alau0115 macrumors regular

Choice of bag/sleeve/type of sleeve depends on your situation.

I use the extremely lightweight Radtech sleevz when I put it in the padded bad/laptop bag as the Radtech sleeve literally has no drop protection.

Then when travel by plane, I will put the Radtech sleevz in another padded sleeve (STM Jacket XS which has a handle, a zipper pocket big enough to hold one charger, one cord, a few SD cards, and a back pocket)
    which can be thrown in a hand carry luggage and it is quick and easy to pull the Air in the padded sleeve when going through the security scan at the airport. In the flight cabin, you just simply take out the padded sleeve when you want to use the Air on the plane.

10. meistervu, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

meistervu macrumors 65816

Good point.

I did however find a near perfect solution that is not too much bigger than a sleeve: it's a minimal bag made by Timbuk2 which is known for affordable well made products.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/laptop-accessories/quickie-laptop-case

The photos are not good: they made the bag look bigger than it is. It has a removable shoulder strap and two additional pockets that will carry plenty of stuff when you need them, or fold flat when you don't, so they don't add much to the thickness of the bag. There are even two shallow pockets at the top for the strap like handles to tuck into, so the bag works better as a sleeve when placed inside another bag or backpack.

But I did say it's "almost" perfect. Well, the thing is designed for a thicker 13" portable like a MBP, so the fit is not snug. Also, the MBA is so thin that the strips of material adjacent to the cushion failed to prevent contact between the zipper and the MBA. However the zipper is plastic so I don't know it will be able to scratch the MBA. I am going try it out this option 1 while I am awaiting option 2 which is a leather sleeve:

http://hammerheadcase.com/sleeves/macbook-air.php

I already have a couple of nice backpacks of different sizes and designs for different purpose: hiking, biking, city, etc. I hope the Hammerhead is good for these purposes:

a. a general protective sleeve.
    b. a layer between the MBA and my lap. Sometimes the thing can get warm.

11. nkawal macrumors regular

Agreed, I keep my 13" Air in a pack & smooch sleeve. If i'm away for long periods of time, then i throw the sleeve in a messenger bag along with charger. So far i only had to walk with charger while I was traveling.