For those very interested in a case providing screen recession

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by apple.pseudofan, Jul 10, 2010.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

What is the main reason?

I don't really see many "I want the screen protected in the event of a drop"

But I do see a lot of "I want to lay it on a table face down"

Is this really the primary reason for wanting a case to recess the screen? For me it would be drop protection.

What is the primary reason for placing your phone on it's face? Privacy? Just preference? Because for me, if you love a case that doesn't recess the screen and your main reason is so you can put it facedown, why not just place it face up?

I would never suggest that your preference for placing it facedown is silly or outside your freedom of available options, just a question.

As a disclaimer, I originally had ordered the Barely There and liked the recession. I then cancelled my order the next day when the Nude came out because I loved my prev switcheasy case and the Nude feature set was more preferrable to me. And I realized that 1/16" screen recession prob won't protect any more than my BSE.

I also am willing to be more risky, as the insurance policy I have covers everything for full replacement, no deductible, $30/yr for 2 phones. (state farm)

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

privacy and so my case doesnt get scratched more than normal

3. fabrini macrumors newbie

fabrini

Hold phone in hand as you would when reading the screen.

Rotate wrist 1 half rotation while moving your arm down towards a flat surface such as table. Continue downward motion until phone is resting on flat surface, face down, apple logo up.

To resume use of phone, reverse motion.

Now try the same thing but place the phone face up. You have to use your other hand to hold the phone while you switch your grip, or you can use one hand and shimmy it down onto the table.

It's all about conserving energy. I try to burn as few calories as possible.

4. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

Yea, its a natural motion to pick up and look at the screen if its face down

5. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I usually place my phone on my desk face up, but there are times when I'll place it face down invade an inappropriate text from a friend comes in or something.

My bumper was supposed to arrive on Thursday but nobody was home- I signed the little slip and left it on my door for them to leave it the next day... On friday, knowing that a bumper was probably waiting for me at home, I managed to put my first scratch on the back of my iPhone! There must have been a grain of sand on the table I was sitting at because when I picked up the phone I literally felt and heard a short quick grinding... Ziiip!! Sure enough, I now have one perfect scratch in the middle of the back... Less then 20 minutes later, I was home putting on my new bumper... Sigh.

Oh well- I never expect to keep my phones pristine, but this phone is so stunningly beautiful and that situation was just particularly ironic.

6. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

For me it's about dust collection. Without a lip around the screen you end up with a gap between the case and screen which over time will catch all kinds of dust, etc. Sure you can clean it from time to time but if a case can help minimize that all the better!