For those waiting for Skylake, have your plans changed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uplift, Mar 21, 2016.

?

What are your plans now?

  1. I'm hopeful for a silent update over the next 8 weeks so I'm waiting

    14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. I'm happy to wait until WWDC

    20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I'm buying the current gen Macbook Pro/Retina

    10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. I'm buying another non-Apple laptop

    9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Something else...

    2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Uplift macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    So, it's clear there was lots of people hoping for Mac refreshes today, but now the event is over and we're no further forward what are your plans now?

    I've setup a poll to see where people are headed but feel free to elaborate in your post.
    -

    .. I'm going to go ahead and buy the current gen rMBP, At the moment I have the origin 2012 model and generally quite happy with it, I only really need more ram so an extra 8GB and faster SSD will suit me. Before I pull the trigger though I am going to look at non-Apple alternatives, a quick look at Lenovo and XPS don't really get me excited and i'm not sure if there is anything else worth looking at?
     
  2. Ries macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    #2
    Buy iPad Pro 9.7 if it has 4GB, then I saw the price, I need 64GB but that is gone. The 128 GB price is 1/3 a of macbook pro and im going to upgrade my iPhone this summer... so... maybe upgrade my iPad Air and wait for kaby lake next summer.
     
  3. Channan macrumors 68030

    Channan

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #3
    I'd be bummed if I were you, too, but luckily I've been managing with a 16GB iPad, so 32GB will be an upgrade for me.
     
  4. Alakagom macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    #4
    I wonder, why would the 4GB matter at all? The web browsing experience and no folder system mean it can no way shape or form ever replace macbook.

    Anyway, considering Kabylake is coming 3rd quater, yes I may skip Skylake and wait for Kabylakes lol :confused:
     
  5. Krafty macrumors 601

    Krafty

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    La La Land
    #5
    Nope. I bought my current 2 months before the refresh cause I needed it for school. At this point, I can finally afford to wait until the next refresh. Hell, at least I'll hopefully have a bigger buffer in my bank account by then.
     
  6. PTLove macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #6
  7. Ampidire macrumors 6502

    Ampidire

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    #7
    I'll be purchasing whatever is the next generation rMBP.
    If it's just a Skylake refresh, I'll buy that.
    If it's a full redesign, I'll buy that.
    If it's tomorrow, I'll buy it then.
    If it's in WWDC, I'll buy it then.

    Until that point, I have a still perfectly capable Mid-2012 MBP (non-Retina) with pretty incredible specs besides lack of 4k display support (something I'm very interested in adopting in my workflow in the near future).

    For myself, I do all of my "work" (student) on my desktop which has an i7 Haswell-K at 4.4, 32GB RAM, 500GB among multiple SSD's and a GTX 980, all custom water-cooled, and that matches up to my 3 LCD setup, a Portrait-Landscape-Portrait of a Dell 24, 30, and another 24.

    Is it likely I'll keep this kind of desktop up to date longer-term? No, but as an IT-Security student, it's helpful to have access to multiple platforms, I manage and use many VM's for testing, development, etc, many at a time and multiple times a day, so anything less than a full "pro" level machine (i7 or Xeon, lots of RAM, and huge SSD(s)) wouldn't be able to suit my needs.

    I'd have liked to upgrade sooner, but the longer the wait, the higher quality the hardware will be when it's finally released, thank goodness I'm not reliant on my Mac for more at this point, but it is nice to have some hardware parity between all of my machines.
     
  8. dk808 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    #8
    Yup, my original plan was to get the maxed out 13 inch. Now I have more time to save up and buy the 15 :)
     
  9. Ries macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    #9
    The RAM is for future proofing, so it lasts me 3-4 years.
     
  10. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #10
    Not really. I'll keep my 2011 MBP until they're redesigned. It's still works, but I'd like a substantially lighter laptop next time around (and one which has greater than one and a half hour's battery life...).
     
  11. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

    Bkxmnr

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    Location:
    Wichita, KS
    #11
    I'm guessing that's when the 15" MBPs will get the Broadwell update.
     

Share This Page