For those waiting on purchasing until after MWSF

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derekjd, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. derekjd macrumors member

    Dec 20, 2006
    I have been waiting on purchasing an iMac until MWSF, but I learned something interesting today from Apple on not having to wait. I saw the price protection in a discussion here and that holds true for 14 days (if the price drops on your model you can get a refund), but I also found out if I buy my Mac and there is a new model or upgrade I can return my Mac and not get slammed with the 10% restocking fee if I still plan on purchasing another Mac... The only catch is that if you customize your machine they will not let you return it, customize as in add bigger HD, add video ram or have Apple add ram for example. Although if you add your own ram then take it out before you take the unit back they will return it with no problem... I hope this helps others like me wanting their Mac but afraid something better will come along at MWSF...

  2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a


    Dec 12, 2006
    Peace in Plainfield
    still doesn't help me
    the iMac I have been eyeing is almost fully customized (still haven't found rhyme to reason to spend so much money on the upgraded processor).
    I just hope that their credit card application is generous and doesn't slam me for having less-than-perfect credit :)
  3. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a


    Aug 29, 2006
  4. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Seriously, I know there are a lot of people out there who buy stock configs, but I personally don't see a reason too. I too would upgrade to 2GB RAM on any iMac, Mac Mini or notebook. I would also opt for the better graphics option. The upcharge isn't that much and it just makes sense too. Some people say that Apple charges too much for their RAM, but currently they no longer offer you the option of a single 1GB stick. So you have to buy 2GB and then what, sell the 2 512s. Even then, you will probably just about break even on the cost to build-to-order that way. And sure the larger hard drives are slightly overpriced, but $200 for a 500GB rather than a 250GB is worth it just to have greater internal storage. With all my music, photo, and video media, iMovie projects, and everything else, and Time Machine coming, it's worth it. Yes I'll have an external, maybe two, but I want to minimize and that means a nice 500GB inside. Again, this is just my opinion. I also don't think that 14 day return policy should be the incentive to buy an iMac, take it home, set it up, install apps, migrate data from your old machine, and then return it 10 days later for the new model. It's 10 days, it's not November still. I think at this point anyone who wants the newest model out will wait, and those who don't really care, probably don't even know about MWSF and are just buying a computer because they wanted one.

    Sorry for the soapbox. I just get tired of all the buy now or wait, will I get this or that for free, can I return it, etc, etc, threads.

Share This Page