For those who are not main account holder.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monkey3200, Jun 8, 2010.

1. monkey3200 macrumors member

I'm in a family plan with my stepdad and mother, we have unlimited data and I believe unlimited voice.

My mom and stepdad bought there phones a few months before the 3GS launch, they are both eligible for an upgrade. I bought my 3GS on launch date and have the 2/20/2011 upgrade date.

My original plan was to use my moms upgrade, and just using my sim card in it. I then figured out the iPhone 4 uses micro sim -__-

So then, i said I'll just trim my sim card to use in the iPhone 4, as many have done for their iPad. I'm just not positive if that will work perfectly with voice and data (if it does work perfect that's the route I'm taking)

I've also heard, that when you order the phone online and have it shipped that you can have it set up with whichever number (I'm not sure if that's true)

If you can, post similar experiences with the 3GS, or other launches.

tl;dr Is there any way i can use my moms account, that is eligible for upgrade, to get the iPhone 4 working on my number in our family plan.

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes you can, this is called an upgrade swap. Use mom's line to buy iPhone, her contract gets extended, but the iPhone is brought to your line. Check the upgrade guide in my sig.

3. monkey3200 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand how it is brought to my line, but since it can be done, I know I'll figure it out.

And this can all be done if you get it shipped to your house on launch date? I'd rather not deal with the crazy lines there were for 3GS launch :p

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

1) get phone in mail
    2) put your sim in
    3) go to att if you have to to get data plan removed from mom's account and add iPhone 4 on yours.

I would just go to AT&T later in the day anyway just to make sure.

5. monkey3200 thread starter macrumors member

How would I put my sim in, if it has a micro sim tray, and I have the regular sim? Or I'll just do this all at the store? I think I'm over complicating this, I always do :(

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Well that's where going to AT&t comes into play. Once you get the device, go to the store and explain to them what you want to do. They don't care because you're still going to pay for data anyway. It's just best to go later in then day since it will be hectic in the morning.

7. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Iam doing the same thing, I will buy the phone from AT&T and when it comes time to register I will tell them I want the iPhone to swap to my line.

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You will not use your old SIM, You will need to use the new Microsim that ships with the iPhone 4.

If you don't want to go to the store, you do complete the steps by calling AT&T Customer Care and asking for a manual activiation of an Upgrade Swap. The rep will send you through the VRU to complete the new contract on the line that ordered the new iPhone 4. Next the rep can use the information in the system or may ask you to read the ICCI and the IMEI information from the iPhone 4 box to activate the Microsim on your line of service.

Only delay will be waiting for a rep since you will not be the only person calling on June 24, the lines will be slammed just like last year. :eek:

Dave

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

May be easier to go to AT&T store if it is big enough for enough reps on site to help. You could always bounce from store to store lol

10. monkey3200 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh, I understand now, it makes sense, since they get their money and new 2yr contract, they just don't care which number uses the device. I'll be holding my new iPhone 4 on launch ;) it might just not be functional :p