For those who are putting W7 onto your Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by assassinm4, May 8, 2009.

1. assassinm4 macrumors member

Just a few useful notice before you even start to install it:

If you had a beta Windows 7 (i.e. build number <7100) you will have to erase it and downgrade to Vista before installing the RC version

If you currently have a Vista installed, you can run the .iso inside vista. but it up somehow and my whole harddisk went crazy. i had to format my harddisk (including mac partition) and restore both OS.

my advice?
    back up your vista using easy file transfer.
    erase windows partition in boot camp assistant
    re-create a new partition, run boot camp assistant, but click "start windows installer" with your win 7 disc inserted

p.s. if your vista is a pirate copy that you somehow got it actively illegally, and you run windows 7 installer within Vista, it will shut you out of the OS unless you activate it again- but this time with immediate online validation.

MacDrive on x64 W7
    i dont know about x86, but on x64 version,
    the latest 7.2.6 will not work, but instead 7.2.5 (and only 7.2.5) will work perfectly. W7 can run installer in compatibility mode so no worries.

People should be expecting W7 x64 + bootcamp and drivers will take up about 17Gb of harddisk space.

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Actually, all you need is some hard drive space formatted in NTFS; you need to remove the beta version of W7 but you do not need to reinstall Vista prior to installing W7 RC. Actually, it's just like shareware, you get to use it for almost a year for free.