For those who bought the 8gb iphone 3g...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bubbagumpshrimp, Jul 12, 2008.

1. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Are you happy with your decision?
    I ordered two 8gb from a ATT store for my wife and I. I'm having second thoughts about it seeing all that the app store has to offer.

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Apps aren't that big...
    If you dedicate a gig (at most) to apps you'll be fine... probably just a couple hundred megabytes would be fine though.

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

I got an 8GB... The only part of me that regrets it is the part that wants
    to have the best and have something better then everyone else, because people my age will all get the 8GB... But I will have to get over it lol.

:eek:

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

8GB is plenty fine. I had the option to get 16GB, but heck resale value will be better later down the road compared to a 16GB.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Go browse the top apps. Aside from the 128MB Texas Hold 'Em, everything else is pretty much under 50MB. I'd say 95% of the apps are smaller than 10MB. I have an 8GB iPhone, and I haven't had any problem so far. Well, other than the problem I already have with 16+GB of music and 8GB of space. You just gotta know what you want on the phone and what you don't.

I would advise 16GB, but you won't be left out of much app-wise with 8GB.

6. Wildog27 macrumors member

How do you figure that?

7. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

You'll be fine - even a game like Super-Monkey Ball is only 34 MB

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's like the first gen iPhone.

My 4GB iPhone sold for $400 on ebay 2 weeks ago. Other 8GB iPhones were selling for $400-$450.

9. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I would guess because people will realize they don't need the 16Gb and buy the 8Gb one. This is how it was on eBay until Apple ran out of phones in May. The 8Gb made you a little better profit. I should know as I was selling the refurb phones (8 of them I think). You pay higher final value fees on eBay the higher the price so you end up cutting your profit down between a little less resale value to purchase price and fees to sell (if using eBay).

Plus, save the $100 and upgrade next year when Gen 3 is out.

10. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

If the app store is what's giving you these thoughts, then don't worry. Most apps take off little space at all.

11. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

Yeah, I didn't need the extra space lol, will the 8GB (when I sell it nxt year) give me a profit at all/ what can the expected price be?

12. LAN Shark macrumors newbie

You just waited in line for several hours to buy the iPhone 3G and now your want to know what the resale value will be in a year!?

I honestly think what happened with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G will be a one time thing. I can't think of any other device where a used model has had a resale value greater than the succeding model. Most of the market was driven by the fact that it was closed to just 6 countries or so with some of those countries only selling phones for 6 months.

By the end of the year there will be around 70 countries selling the iPhone, half of those having more than one cell provider available. Even though there are subsidized, unsubsidized, and no contract prices; most owners will be paying the smallest prices which are far less than last year. By the time the next iPhone is announced there will be plenty of iPhones (orig. and 3G) trying to be sold. Hence supply will be much greater than the demand.

Last of all, most of those that did make a "profit" on their used iPhones didn't make enough to cover the extra $15 a month for the next two years.

I had the 8GB iPhone and at the end of it's life I had only used about 60% of the 8GB. Remember after the OS (and format?) there's only 7.1GB of space available. I personally have 2GB of music and 3 hours of video (2GB) which leaves me with 3GB for everything else. I'll be fine until someone starts making full featured games for the iPhone but I wouldn't expect anything like that for a year at least. Imagine if they made a Final Fantasy for the iPhone!

13. bubbagumpshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, after looking at the size of the apps I can see 8gb's wont be a issue.