For those who do put skin covers on their Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Aug 29, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Can you still take a rag, spry some cleaner on it and just clean it up?

The one I'm looking at is the "black carbon fiber" for my rMBP.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes, I had the same black CF, it was sweet. I actually just ordered the white CF.

3. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohh post pictures of the white one, I was thinking of getting white so it could match with my Galaxy S3 but I feel as if it'll get dirty.

4. Swayzee macrumors member

I have the white carbon fiber from icarbons and it looks amazing. I will tell you that it does get dirty.. but its nothing a little water and rag wont clean off.

5. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Are you guys getting the skins from **********, if so I was thinking about getting a wood one. Right now I have the hard Incase case, is the skin better?

6. SlyMac macrumors 6502

The hard case provides MUCH more protection. The skin is simply a thin piece of film and does not protect at all beyond the occasional scratch. If you're worried about protecting against real damage, the skin is not recommended.

7. Engali macrumors member

I would surmise the vast majority of people don't damage their MBP beyond surface scratches anyway. Hard cases will not protect against serious falls well, so the difference in what a sturdy skin and what a hard cover case will protect against is slim and anomalous. I think in most cases, a serious injury that the skin couldn't prevent would likely leave the MBP visibly damaged anyway with a hard case. That's just my guess--and my bias since I got a skin, just mentioning the reasons why I went that route. YMMV.

That's why I got a separate soft sleeve for traveling though. Between the skin and the sleeve when I'm on the move, the protection difference from a hard case is thinned and I still get to sleep the sleek, slim, and light form factor of the rMBP when I'm actually using it.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Will do!

9. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Dents are common and something a hard case defends well against. Saying a hard case doesnt defend against anything that occurs often is, in my opinion, untrue. A light user that rarely takes their laptop out wouldnt need a hard case. For those that do, a hard case can be very beneficial. I've learned the hard way.

10. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand from where you are coming from but for my uses a hardcase isn't really needed. I just need something to protect the top and bottom from the daily scratches.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Same here. That's all I need it for.

12. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Everyones different. My reply was someone asking which is better, the skin or case. As far as protection goes, the case is better. But if you dont need the added protection, a skin is great.

13. dtjay7 macrumors regular

That looks incredible. I don't usually like a carbon fiber look but that is very tasteful.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That silver is really good. But I'd only do the top shell.

15. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

16. Oofie macrumors regular

What brand is this? It looks really nice :cool:

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Im only doing the back and bottom, not the keyboard/trackpad area.

18. lazer155 macrumors regular

It looks like sticker boy.

I have the silver carbon edge sticker boy pieces on my rmbp. I covered the body and lid with clear wrapsol.

19. Oofie macrumors regular

Ah thanks! Will definitely check them out.

20. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Same, I think I'll just wait down the line and just cover it up with the moshi palm guard/trackpad protector. I personally don't see the need for it to cover the entire inside other than the palm rest.

21. Engali macrumors member

How common are they compared to scratches? "Often" is relative. That's why I qualified my statements, which you conveniently snipped (please don't do that when quoting me without indicating that you did).

Look at eBay sales of apple laptops right now and tell me what kind of damage crops up. Scratches and screen cracks. I can't recall anyone mentioning anything about dents (been looking at MBA as well as Mac Minis) and, while we can't assume everyone is being honest, we know that people will get reprimanded for lying about the condition of their product. You might say this sampling is biased, but I would contend this is exactly where you would most likely see instances of dents. Yet you don't. Why? I would surmise it's because most instances where the fall leads to a serious dent will brick the computer or at least give it serious issues. If that is true, I really doubt the "sweet spot" where a hard case offers more protection than a skin will be substantial enough to significantly lessen the chance that the fall won't result in a dent AND for the fall not to seriously damage some computer internals.

IOW, I think falls that would lead to a serious dent, but wouldn't lead to internal damage are few and far between and I think that is the only thing hard cases might be good for. I am sorry it happened to you, but I really don't think it happens that often compared to how people generally damage their laptops.

22. SlyMac macrumors 6502

As indicated, I was speaking from personal experience. 3 dented macbooks between me and my GF is often in my opinion. That, coupled with my observations over the years led me to this conclusion.

This mad me laugh. Your comments were nothing more than personal statements and are treated as such. Lets not pretend your post was some damning piece of factual evidence that I omitted to slight you. This is a forum post about stickers asking for advice. I was responding to your statement so that is what I quoted.

You seem to think dents only occur as a result of a fall. Most that damage the laptop beyond the superficial probably do. Mine all came from being in my bag. My GF set her laptop down too hard which resulted in a small dent on the back corner. It was very small but any dent to me is serious.

I think I'm done now. This is making me take this way too seriously for what it is, an informal forum post.

----------

Man, that color matches the macbook well. Does the logo light on the macbook show around the edge or is it completely blocked?

23. Speedy Gonzalez macrumors regular

yep that's the brand :)

it show around the edge but it also shines through the carbon fiber

24. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Forgot to post pics, sorry.

Attached Files: