Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Gees louise. The Air is 12W and the iPhone is 5W, so now I have THREE chargers to contend with. Sigh. I'm using the Air charger on my mini and that's that....
It's impressive how many different chargers Apple are releasing. It appears from testing however that the iPad Air, despite shipping with a 12W charger, does not draw the full 12W instead topping out closer to 10.5W. This is according to a single review by iLounge and to be honest the difference between what they're quoting and the 12W the supply is capable of providing may well be due to differences in the charging profiles (e.g. A rapid charge from 0% to 80% followed by a slower topping off up to 100% giving an overall lower average draw).

At the end of the day each device will only draw what it wants at that time, so charging all your iDevices from the 12W supply will not do any of them any harm.

A

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Did anyone pick up a cellular rMini? Or are you all on wifi?

I ordered one via the web site, and there's a 5-10 day wait.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
thanks

My 2 cents worth of quick impressions:

Weight: It is just as light and comfortable to hold in one hand. Couldn't really tell the difference holding it and the original Mini in both hands

Display: A bad piece with uneven color tones notwithstanding, the retina display is so easy on the eyes and really sharp like the iPhone. The difference between the original Mini and rMini is very noticeable when you zoom in to read. I couldn't read for very long without my eyes feeling fatigued on the original, but it has not been a problem on the rMini so far

Speed: Haven't run any processor intensive tests yet but it has been very responsive so far, perhaps a tad more than the Air. I couldn't detect any stuttering in my use and it hasn't crashed on me yet with 5-6 tabs open in Safari.

Speakers: Sounds just like the original Mini, and a little inferior compared to the Air's speakers. The difference is somewhat akin to that of the 13" and 15" rMacbook Pro speakers, in that the rMini's speakers sound a little tinny compared to those of the Air

Obviously it's only been a few hours since I've had it so take this with a grain of salt.

vs iPad Air: It is my preliminary opinion that the Air is still the device to get unless you are a) cash-strapped for $100 or b) really need the small size of the mini (for, let's say, a custom car dash install). The reason is simple - you'll be blown away at how little the weight difference is between these two devices. It's like night and day when you look at how different the iPad 4 and original Mini were. The Air truly is an oversized Mini without much of a weight penalty and thus is just as portable in that respect. The larger screen size provides a much better viewing experience, so unless your use case dictates that you absolutely must have a smaller, but not necessarily a much lighter device I would strongly recommend the Air

Hope this helps

Thanks for the vs. the Air notations.

I had an Air briefly yesterday, but there was a serious WiFi issue so back it went. :(

Once the demand for the retina mini dies down, I will go to back and try both. The big thing is clarity of the retina screen for me. If the mini is superior reading-wise to the Air, that what I may eventually get.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I'm coming from an iPad 2, so I am sure that compared to that screen I am going to have few complaints about the Mini Retina's. I'll try not to compare screens against my friend's Air;)

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Gees louise. The Air is 12W and the iPhone is 5W, so now I have THREE chargers to contend with. Sigh. I'm using the Air charger on my mini and that's that....

The ipad sided charger used to be 10w before being bumped to 12w for the 3 or 4. I actually just realized recently that I'd been using the 10w charger for my ipad 4 since the beginning. I charged it so rarely that I never noticed!

Is the new Mini charger the same size as the regular ipad one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.