All iPads For those who have both 9,7 and 7'9 inch ipads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Elho, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Elho macrumors regular

So, which one do you use the most? Do you still use the mini when you have a regular ipad?

I'm asking this because i can sell my ipad 3 for a good price. I'm in the market for an ipad air or retina mini. But like the rest of us i just cant decide which one i should go for... I've read this review of somebody who has the ipad air but still uses his mini a lot just because the size...

How is browsing the web on a mini?

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

My wife won't accept anything under 9.7" and I'm stuck with 7.9".

Doesn't make for a very good home life.

3. Elho thread starter macrumors regular

Lol! Yeah and she only wants the black version since she has tried that? ;-)

4. double329 macrumors 6502

Same here....

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That is funny as my SO has the black version, and I have the white...

6. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Space grey is the new black!

7. Elho thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, had enough laughs now... Back on topic okay?

At least i'm not whining about screen quality ;-)

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm trying both out now. Sure, I am liking the Mini while browsing in bed, and i have to pinch and zoom a lot less than may previous Mini but still do. And then I pickup the Air and think its not that much heavier and oh man the screen. Its a hard choice. I'll use them both for a couple more weeks before making up my mind. I may keep both.

9. Elho thread starter macrumors regular

If you need your ipad for something. Which one do you pick up first? Or do you do certain things one each ipad?

I would appreciate a youtube video, just showing of some browsing on safari and using Flipboard, pocket, iPhoto... ;-)

10. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Really? lol...

Youtube.com : Search Apple commercial.

11. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Man, if there were any way I could justify it to myself and my wife I'd get both....I'd probably still use the rMini primarily, but I'd find some use for the Air - maybe rig something cool in my man cave.

Just seems like having a 4" iPhone 5S, 5" Nexus 5, 7.9" iPad rMini, 9.7" iPad Air and 13" Macbook Air is a bit overkill.....

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Nahhhh, no such thing as overkill. You need to sprinkle that with an Apple TV, an Apple Time Capsule, a PS4 Xbox One, a Nexus 10 and a Galaxy Note 3. Then, maybe, you would be getting close to the overkill line...

Maybe.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Mmmm, how about 2 AppleTVs, an Xbox 360, a Wii, and a 21.5" iMac?

lol - and here I was thinking I had finally hit a point where I wasn't going to be buying anymore new devices.....

14. KPOM macrumors G5

I had the iPad 3 and then switched to the mini last year (I had them both for a week but found myself preferring the weight of the mini). I tried the Air when it came out and used it exclusively for a week until I was able to get the new mini.

It didn't take me long to re-adjust to the larger screen of the Air, and in fact when I unboxed the new mini and turned it on I had to "re-adjust" to the smaller size. That said, within a day I was back to preferring the mini. I think I'll keep it and return the Air.

Web browsing is fine on the mini. For newspaper apps such as WSJ I actually prefer the smaller design. Probably the biggest adjustment is the difference in the keyboard size.

15. double329 macrumors 6502

I stopped by BB today and played with the rMini. It is nice, but I much prefer the Air. The Air physically is not much bigger then the Mini, yet so much screen real estate compare to the Mini.

16. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Returned my rMini and got an Air. The Air is almost the same weight, faster A7 and better display...I'm happy.

17. big samm macrumors 65816

I have both the Rmini and ipad 3... I still like surfing better on 9.7, but everything else i like on the mini better.... Since the ipad 3 is slow and heavy ill use the mini more often for sure... And typing on the mini is sooo fun the keyboard is perfect in size so is the rmini... The fact that i can hold it in one hand makes the mini the clear winner for me.

18. IbisDoc macrumors 6502

iPad air for video, such as watching NBA games, watchESPN, Premiere league matches, movies, etc.

Retina mini for use throughout the day at work and during commutes, for web surfing, productivity apps, gps, and some video use.

They both have their places.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I had a 4 for home use and a mini for everywhere else. This went on for 10 months. I was paying monthly data on the 4 under contract, but it never left home. Dumb. I finally cancelled the contract and paid the ETF, then sold the 4. Then I sold the mini and went on an Air screen lottery odyssey. Returned them all.

As of today I have an rMini (really liking it).

2 iPads is great if you can afford it. Ultimately I could only justify one.

20. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Will you be trying your luck with an Air again in the future or is the rMini it for you?

21. Appleduder macrumors newbie

Had the wifi retina mini, amazing device, went to go and exchange it for the LTE version and walked out of the store with an LTE Air instead. After playing with the Air in store for a little while, the weight difference I realized is minimal, the device is so slim + the extra screen real estate with the bigger on screen keyboard won me over.

That said, I couldn't put it down last night. I think I'm in love. Actually, I'm typing on it now while waiting for a haircut.

22. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I found the iPad Air was a good weight without a case or cover. The case made it too heavy coming from using the original iPad Mini for +8 months. I've owned every iPad released so many more years on the larger 10" tablet segment. However, I feel the 7" tablet segment is where its at. That said, I returned the iPad Air and still waiting for my order from the 12th to change from processing to preparing for shipment. But that's a story for another thread.

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Ive finally made up my mind. Having the LTE mini didnt change my original opinion. I thought for sure it would.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I started out by having each iPad from 1-3. Then the mini came out, and since it was so light, I made it my "on the to" iPad. I kept the 3 and used it when at home. Pretty soon, whenever I was outside using my mini, I kept missing the bigger screen if my iPad 3. But I didn't switch things around because the mini was so much easier to carry. Now I have the Air, and I'm never going back to a smaller screen again. Yes, the Air is heavier than the mini, but it's light enough I can carry it in my bag all day without feeling the weight. For me, it's the perfect iPad.

Now, if it only had more RAM... :D

25. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Air is a great piece of kit. But even just carrying it around the city for a few days, I knew it wasn't meant to be. I'd become very accustomed to the portability of the mini. Pulling out the Air in the middle of the street to check something was very awkward. And it didn't really fit in my small camera bag.

Air is a great device for home. But now with retina, so is the mini.