Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Do you regret buying it? Meaning, is it too big to carry around or is the difference between carrying it and the 15'' MBP almost negligible? I want a new MBP, but I'm not sure whether I would appreciate the extra screen on the 17 inch enough to justify carrying it. Weight isn't a problem for me. I don't imagine myself carrying my new laptop around around that much; I'll be using it at home most of the time. Please don't answer unless you've owned or used these 17'' Apple laptops for at least a week (this is the problem with all the threads I searched). Also, could you also tell me whether you have a Matte display or a Glossy display, as I have yet to make my decision between the two-I heard that the MBPs w/ glossy are 'less glossy' that the MacBooks? Any information about that would be greatly appreciated, whether you have a 15'' or 17'' MBP. Thanks!:)

BenHoleton

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
My wife uses one and carries it around campus every day. She absolutely loves it. She got the matte screen

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I got mine last Christmas and so far I have absolutely no regrets buying it! It is by far the best looking and the most solidly built laptop I have ever owned. I am in the same position as you, I got the 17" MBP mainly as a occasional on-the-move desktop replacement (this beast is big).

Honestly speaking, I haven't moved around with it much yet, I am planning on taking it to uni but only once I get a proper bag that'll fit it securely (STM comes to mind).

There is (from experience) very little difference between the 15" and the 17" in terms of actual weight, it may be harder on the wrist holding it with one hand but when you pick it properly in both hands it is much (much) lighter than you expect.

I have a Matte screen, but I have no real usage time in front of a Glossy, so I can comment, since I have only used Matte screens. I can tell you one thing though, after you have owned and grown used to a 17", all other screens look tiny (we have 2 other 15" Powerbooks around the house). It is fantastic to use everyday and there is plenty of screen real estate.

I'm not entirely sure but I suspect that the speakers are much louder on the 17" as compared to the 15" (compared to an old 15").

No regrets. Good luck with the purchase.

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
Im a college student with a 17 inch power book that I carry to school every day. I dont regret it at all especially coming from a 12 inch ibook. The abiltiy to have two documents open at the same time side by side is invaluable for paper writing. I type up my quotes or notes on one document and organize them and then just cut and paste or trascribe without having to flip back and forth between documents. Simply amazing. Along with the ability to write notes in class while looking at the web during down time. I hav the matte display and the glossy wasnt available when I bought mine. WHen I buy another in a year or two Ill stick with the matte since I dont have to worry about glare or reflections making it difficult to use with the matte.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
my laptop of choice. I'm in college.

I've had 2 12 inch iBooks, a 15" 1.5G Powerbook, and now, a rev E 17" PB

sure you do notice the size and weight of it when comparing it to the 12", but it's worth it. I usually ride my bike to school which is uphill and I have my 17" and a few books, I don't have a problem with it.

Mauiphoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2007
Aloha!

I have owned a couple of 17" powerbooks now and do haul them all over the place. Having that large screen is addictive and since I do alot of photo editing, having the extra viewing area is essential. My wife just purchased the new MBP 15" glossy screen and it is a perfect machine for her. But i tried editing a few photo's on it and it seemed too small for my work. I am going to be ordering a new 17' MBP in the next few weeks, and will certainly order it with the glossy screen, it really makes the pictures pop right off of the screen, simply beautiful. I hope that this helps you, and I have never felt that the 17: size was ever limiting except on a few flights where it does get a little tight to use it on a plane.
aloha!

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
ive been using my powerbook 17 since aug 04 for liveshows on stage.....still loving it, and didnt regret it for a second.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I"ve had mine for over a month. No regrets, easy to carry around if i need to - i don't go many places.

I have a Matte screen - i have issues with the glossy and reflections.

If i had to buy another one tomorrow to replace it - i'd buy the 17" again.

OH, I came from a 12" iBook G4 and 12" Sony R505.

airfang

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I have already had a IBM Thinkpad X41 so I decided to go for 17 MBP this time. Just ordered it, the shipment will arrive by 18th... can't wait to open it and tell you my experience.

I think for a man there should be no problem to carry it around, before that I suggest you getting a decent bag or case for protection ^_^

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Great responses guys, keep them coming! Airfang, yeah that would be great if you could PM me to tell me how it is.

I was also wondering, for those who have a glossy MBP, how the (for lack of a better word) 'glossiness' compares to that of the regular MacBook. At first I was settled on tried and true matte, yet I still have fears that I will eventually see it as a dull and lifeless display that's 'grainy.' Thanks!:)

airfang

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Great responses guys, keep them coming! Airfang, yeah that would be great if you could PM me to tell me how it is.

I was also wondering, for those who have a glossy MBP, how the (for lack of a better word) 'glossiness' compares to that of the regular MacBook. At first I was settled on tried and true matte, yet I still have fears that I will eventually see it as a dull and lifeless display that's 'grainy.' Thanks!:)

Well, according to my experience in a Apple retail store, glossy & matte side by side, glossy is more like a mirror - you can actually see your reflection when it is exposed to certain amount of light, but it does provide greater contrast and the colors look more vivid.

Matte on the other hand, does not have reflection, it looks like there's a film applied to the screen. But I think ... (actually according to what I have heard) your eye won't get tired after staring at the matte screen for a long time compared with the glossy screen.

I will have to use it for a while and then tell you how I feel. Anyway, it also depends on individuals so it's best for you to go to a local retail store and check them out urself.

Good luck~

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Sorry to break the 17" love fest :p , but I wasn't too enamoured with it when I had one (Rev D PB). I was coming from a 12" PB, and I went back to the 12". I really liked the portability of it, and the fact that it was a bit easier to watch DVDs in bed. I tried that with the 17", but the screen was too heavy and kept "flopping" down if I put it at an 80º or so angle.

That said, I can see the attraction if you need the screen real-estate. Ultimately, it is totally one's personal preference. :)

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
I love my MBP 17" matte. I've taken on economy plane trips without much problem (only when the guy in front decides to recline, slight adjustment of monitor). I carry it all over. It is not much heavier than my 15" Ti. The screen estate is awesome. The drool factor is well deserved.

LifeIsCheap

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
Sydney, Oz.
I'm actually in the fortunate position of having both a 17" PB and a newly purchased 15" MBP with a matte screen. Personally I didn't go for the 17" model again as I personally find it just that bit too big to carry around.

In the house though, watching EyeTV in bed on a lazy Sunday morning on the PB is awesome. That's where the extra screen estate comes into its own. Editing photos, I find the 15" just fine. I'd prefer to get an external monitor if I really get into it in a big way.

Matte vs glossy? Matte. I don't want to sit there looking at myself! It's just not that pleasant...

Just my 2c!

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
For me the 17" MBP is great. It is really comfortable to have Windows in a Parallels-window at a real-world resolution :).
Before I had a 12"PB, and now I'm wondering how you can stand a 1024x768 resolution...it is so tiny! Mobility is not really a problem with the 17", but if Apple comes out with a sub-notebook, I think I would like to have it, for those small tasks...

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
I've had my 17" PowerBook since Dec. 2004; no regrets at all. The screen size becomes addicting, and amazing for a laptop.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
Personally, I prefer the 15". But it's personal preference. Unless you NEED the 17" screen and resolution, I'd go for the 15".

BlackDan

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2004
Belgium
I prefer the 15". But depends on what you need it for. A lot of colleagues absolutely LOVE their 17"...

BTW I have a Matte screen and wouldn't want a glossy...

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
BTW I have a Matte screen and wouldn't want a glossy...

I definitely second that! but it is personal preference. The screen real estate was much more important to me than the weight. I think the difference between the 15" and 17" when it's in your backpack would be almost negligible. I stick my 17" MBP in an incase sleeve and it fits pretty much exactly into my bag and even with the power adapter it's not terribly heavy.

Good Luck!

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
17" Mbp

I've owned the 15" G4 Powerbook for three years before I decided to upgrade to the 17" MBP. I haven't looked back since. I don't think the 17" MBP is that much more heavier than a 15", and since I've been using my 17" MBP for the past five months, my 15" Powerbook just looks so small. It's very hard to go backwards, but very easy to love the 17" MBP.

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Get a 17-inch

I have the 15-inch MBP at home and the 17-inch MBP at work. I have travelled with both and can honestly say it isn't really THAT much bigger. I have no problem using it on a plane, even in coach (I'm a skinny guy though). And if you say weight isn't a problem, I think you will definitely appreciate the extra screen real estate. It's a great machine!

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I owned on once, and for the longest time it looked to big, when i was in the process of considering it. After i bought it, and brought it home and had nothing to compare it to, as i did when i was in the store, I loved it. It was great. But i do have to admit, that over time i did find the portability a problem. If it is a 95% desktop use thing than i say get it, anything less i say no. It was great but it's not portable in my opinion. i wouldn't buy another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.