For those who have or had dead pixels

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FFTWarren, Oct 29, 2008.

1. FFTWarren macrumors member

as I was reading these forums I realized, hey theres a dead pixel on my new MB 2.4. What are the chances of them replacing the whole unit. I just bought it saturday. and although its just one pixel, im not too happy about it especially for 1500 bucks I would at least like this sucker to be free of problems at least for the next year

2. FFTWarren thread starter macrumors member

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've heard you need 5 or more. I've also heard all you need is one. I think a lot of it has to do with which store you visit, the mood of the genius and/or manager on a given day, in combination with the mood you bring to the bar.

5. FFTWarren thread starter macrumors member

should I bring the nice innocent mood or do I need to bring my Im not leaving here without a new MB mood?

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Since Apple dosen't publicly post a criteria for panel replacement like Dell and the likes (one of the few things I like about dell), it is a crap shoot at best.

You will either need to call support, or take it into your reseller (best bet) to get them to look into it. Don't hesitate to remind them that you just got the system, and that their lack of public excahnge policy for such issues is highly inconvieniant, and a questionable practice.

Feel free to print out the following link and carry it in with you and ask them to show you Apple's policy.

http://support.dell.com/support/top...dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dn=1018431

[​IMG]

7. FFTWarren thread starter macrumors member

i already setup an appointment for 12 tomorrow

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Too much of either is probably ill advised. I always start off trying to treat any CS rep as a friend/confidant. Just describe your problem, and let them do most of the talking. They are trained to dissuade a return for all but the most egregious problems. Be friendly but persistent.

If the genius isn't willing to exchange it, tell them you understand their position, but you wonder if maybe someone up the ladder might be able to help you in this case, because you really want to avoid a complete refund. If the manager is equally adamant, ask, "What would you do in my position?" Tell them you own several Apple products, and don't plan on buying another brand of computer, and that all you want is to be as satisfied with the Macbook as you have been with your other purchases. Those very words got me a replacement Macbook last week (keys were hitting the screen when closed).

9. FFTWarren thread starter macrumors member

well I went and met with the genius. he said it was dust under the glass. no big deal and they swapped it out no problem. they were super nice. Well I check out the new one in the store. it had one little spot at the top left of the screen(same thing as the last one). but I said hey one spec of dust, I can deal with that especially in a spot i'll never pay attention to. so an hour later I get to class, take it out the box to load Iworks onto it and as its loading, BLAM a stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. A lil blue dot. So i went and returned it and now I have no laptop. I think I will just wait and see how the new MBA pans out or I will just wait till they work the bugs out of the MBs cuz I didnt drop $1600 bucks on a laptop for me to be the guinea pig that works out the problems for them. The quality control ppl should have done that before they ever started mass producing those suckers

10. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

That sucks man, you should change your sig then ;)

If I were you, I'd probably get the MBP or the Air. Since you have had such bad luck with the macbook.

11. FFTWarren thread starter macrumors member

only thing I worry about with the pro is that it has the same design as the MB which leads me to believe it will most likely(not in all cases) have the same kinds of issues. since the MBA is basically unchanged with the exception of internal upgrades, there shouldnt be any bugs to work out that you run across with completely new systems.

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Wow that is so disappointing. I keep reading these threads thinking these MB issues are not as prevalent as they seem, but multiple people returning the MB only to have the same or new issues with the new MB is disconcerting.

13. FFTWarren thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats how I was too. I figured alot of people were just expecting way too much but Im right there with em. its just too much money we spending on these things to have this kind of stupid lil problems straight out the box. I mean come on a brand new $1600 laptop with a stuck pixel straight out the box. and it wouldve cost more had I not been a student. So yea they need to tighten up on quality control

14. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I've been saying this since I returned my 5th MacBook. Apples quality control is pathetic with these new computers!