For those who have yellow screens: did Apple replace the display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Feb 23, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I just helped a friend set up a macbook pro she bought on ebay. It has one of the screens that is yellow at the bottom and white at the top. Looks pretty awful. My question is how things have worked out for those who had this problem? Did Apple replace without any questions, and did you get a display that was good after that?

In other words, is it worthwhile to suggest that she tries to get Apple to replace the display or is it just going to be more of the same?

2. Jottle macrumors 6502

I just got my MBP (early 2008 model) and it exhibits this yellowing at the bottom of the screen. It's pretty obvious and pretty sad looking. My build date is late September 2008! So it looks like apple has still not been able to nail down this problem or they really just don't have QC for this kind of thing. So it's back to the apple store to get the screen replaced. My MBP is flawless otherwise, so why risk getting a whole new laptop with other issues. I'm just going to play the "new screen" lottery game that so many other on here have played and hope that I get lucky after the 3rd or 4th try :(

3. Jottle macrumors 6502

UPDATE: I'v had 3 different macbook pro's and about 7 different screen replacement all directly from Apple. I've had a couple LG 9c81 screens an AWFUL AUO screen, and the one I have now is a Samsung 9C83. Except for the AUO screen that had miserable looking mura shadows, every single screen exhibited the lower 1/3 yellow strip at the bottom of the screen. I have the Samsung screen and it has a pretty noticeable yellowing at the bottom. You really are playing the lotto with screens as I've had many new ones. None out of all 7 were free of the bottom yellowing. So consider yourself lucky if you have a perfect screen. I'm sick of dealing with this and do not want to jump to the 15'' unibody. So I'm going to keep this slightly yellow screen and live my life! :) Apple tried to help me many times and they've worked with letting me replace the screen on this particular macbook pro a total of 4 times. None of these screens have been good. So I'm going to say that it's not likely anyone sending theirs in for yellowing will avoid getting yet another yellow screen.