For those who 'main' their MBP, do you let it sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I disabled sleep because I hate that it will just stop a download or cancel a current task. Other than a loss of battery life, any side effects that I should be aware of, such as shortening the HDD life? If so, what about an SSD?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine to prevent sleep if you need to. Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your Mac notebook awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

3. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Hey, do you know if any of these apps makes using external display possible with MBP in clamshell mode? If so is it in any way dangerous for the MBP? I.e. it overheats the GPU or drains the battery very quickly etc.

Thanks in advance and sorry to barge in like that:)

4. heisenberg123, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

They do effect clamshell mode, your external monitor would act as if te lid on tr MBP is open

5. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Great tips thanks, didn't know these utilities existed!

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I use caffeine and love it. Just click it on when I leave the room, The screen will eventually shut off, but downloads and everything else will continue.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any of those apps for clamshell mode:
    Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display
    No, it's not dangerous to operate in clamshell mode, as Apple notebooks are designed for that. They will not overheat. Clamshell mode requires that AC power is connected, so no, it won't drain the battery to operate in clamshell mode.
    If the screen is shutting off, something is wrong, since Caffeine is supposed to keep the screen awake, as well.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I leave my computer unplugged and on with Caffeine many nights. Never had an issue. I usually use my computer before sleeping, and I tend to fall asleep with the computer on.

9. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Thank for your reply, though I think we have a bit of misunderstanding:)
    I'm using MBP in clamshell mode with external display now, thus I know that the charger has to be plugged in. What I was asking (thank you iisforiphone for your answer) is if Caffeine and other apps of that sort will let me use MBP in clamshell mode without the charger as I would like to keep the battery healthy and run the computer on battery from time to time. And do to so now I have to unplug everything, take it out of the dock etc. Thus my question:)
    But thank you for your input nonetheless:)

10. RealEyes macrumors regular

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Is there a way to have it not crash or lock up after sleep?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine won't keep your MBP awake with the lid closed, but the other apps will.

13. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I use sleep all the time. Shutdowns only once a weak or so.
    In case I want to download something over night or when I am at work I just leave the lid open about 5cm, that's enough to prevent it from sleeping...of course you need to change the energy saving settings so it doesn't go to sleep after some amount of time has passed.

14. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Ok, good to know. Thanks a lot:)

15. romanator macrumors newbie

I set my MacBook to never sleep if I leave the lid open, and to turn off the display after 5 minutes. If I want my MacBook to sleep, I simply close it.