for those who moved from windows to mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bo-waleed, Oct 23, 2009.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

which is better ??
    for me, mac is better and easy to use
    but some programes doesn't work on mac so i installed win xp by bootcamp

i have been used windows when i was born

2. djellison macrumors 68020

Neither is better. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not lying and I can tell you OSX is better.

You have zero malware issues that you do with windows.

you don't have to activate windows
    You don't MS thinking you're a pirate and thus need to run the windows genuine advantage program so it can phone home.
    You have less of a need to reboot in OSX then you do in windows.

We have to reboot our window servers at least once a month and desktops at least weekly. I get into the office and I frequently see a low Virtual memory error message.

Asking which is better on a mac forum, I don't expect to see too many windows is better posts ;)

4. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

i have tell u so i am lying ?? o_O
    i already have XP and i have some games and i like it
    but i think osx is better

''Asking which is better on a mac forum, I don't expect to see too many windows is better posts''
    yeah but in these forum there is a lot windows-to-mac peoples

5. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

With the release of Windows 7, which I'm using now, it is hard to say. It's mostly personal preference, but for most people it's about the OS. OS X is vastly more stable. To some, it's about the hardware. A Mac laptop will last longer than a Windows laptop if you take care of them the same way.

I had a G3 Wallstreet Powerbook that lasted a tad over 6 years before I sold it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One minor suggestions,
    use the
    tags when quoting, it will make reading your posts much easier

7. No1451 macrumors 6502

Pretty much;)

But you will get this: It's subjective, do you want to just browse and do some word processing and other tasks, maybe video or picture editing? Then a Mac is fine, it will do the job just great. Do you want to game or do any of the things mentioned above? Then a Windows machine is just fine as well. OS is mostly personal preference over anything else, I use both and they both fill different slots, Windows is my gaming/media machine and OS X(laptop) is a runabout.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

Funny - I remember OSX doing EXACTLY that every time I've installed it.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be honest (since I don't want to lie and say which on is better ;) )

Games is where OSX really fails.

They're typically more expensive, and they come out 6 mos, to a year later. with that said, I generally don't play games on my computer - that's what my PS3 is for and most people I know use their Macs for work/make money so gaming is really not an option.

I stand by the fact that OSX is more stable, and it doesn't have the registry to worry about. That's a horrible design. I'm always going into the registry to correct something on desktops or servers at work.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bingo. I've been using XP on my iMac since 2006 and I've only had to reinstall XP the same number of times as I have for OSX. They're both solid systems, I use them both a lot and I've never had a virus or problem with Windows.

I like the built in tech of OSX. It's really useful at times but I also like the cutdown nature of XP. There's nothing fancy to get in the way which is just what I need when working (and why I'm not upgrading my personal machines to Vista or Win7).

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I think you're speaking out of turn here. You can't possibly claim that every Windows user has malware issues, because it's simply not true.

12. crain300 macrumors member

moved from pc in 2005
    and never looked back love the mac products

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're reading something in my post that's not there.

I never said every windows user. I said "You have zero malware issues that you do with windows." That is OSX by in far dose not have malware where as windows does have malware. I'm not sure how that is translated into every windows user experiencing malware issues. That's not what I stated.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Don't you know that it's the nature of forum posters to interpret a post in whatever way they need to, to make it go against their own opinion?

Kind of how you are calling this guy illiterate. ;)

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I prefer OS X but find Windows better for some things so I use both.

16. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

:rolleyes: here we go again...

17. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

This guy is correct. It's all about opinion, and opinion is NEVER fact, therefore neither can be proven better or worse. Of course, there can be an average preference for an OS among humans, however it doesn't make one better than the other.

18. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I have both a Macbook Pro and a Windows 7 desktop. To be honest I rarely use my Macbook as almost all of my stuff is done on my desktop at home. I don't think one OS is better than another though Windows 7 has impressed me more than Snow Leopard (just from the sheer improvement over Windows Vista, itself). Windows is more suited towards my work but I like both...no huge preference really. It all comes down to the interface and software. I prefer much of Windows software but as far as interface is concerned, I couldn't care less about Windows vs Mac OS.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sort of like how you claim you the following:

Yeah ok.....

20. Ames macrumors member

I run OS X at home. At work for the last 2 months I've been on a test machine with the release version of Win7. I'm at the point where I don't really care about the OS. I like Tweetie and a few OS X only apps. I have a few Windows only apps. I have a bunch that run on both. They are just too close.

I've been testing the Microsoft Security suite and found it to be low resource. Honestly with Gmail doing virus filtering and paying some attention when web surfing I can't even remember the last time I got a virus or even a virus alert.

Windows and OS X play together pretty nicely these days and with service like Drop Box and Google Docs my data is everywhere and works the same everywhere.

As for hardware it's tough to beat the uMBP's for laptops. For desktops I like a middle of the road Dell desktop.

Unless something changes I'll probably be running Apple laptops and Windows desktops.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

So two people think I'm spot on - and you're rolling your eyes. Why, exactly?

The majority of the time the average user spends their time in Word, or a Browser. Safari isn't the best browser out there by a MILE (when it's not bouncing beachballs - it's just destroying battery life and turning my UBMB into a jet engine with flash), and Pages isn't dramatically better or worse than Word. Ergo - for most people, the OS is moot. It just sits there doing its thing. They don't see it or notice it or, to be honest, care much about it. So when what they want is a big screen, a browser, and email - they see a £400 Dell, an £1800 Mac and got 'Hmm - let me see....' and buy the Dell that does everything the need for less than a quarter of the price of a similarly sized laptop from Cupertino.

22. Nuck81 macrumors regular

from a lifetime Windows user who recently bought a Macbook Pro.

The Mac interface is definitely more intuitive and "casual" friendly.

As far as performance I couldn't judge as I went from a PC that I bought in 02 that had 640K Ram to a new Macbook Pro.

I'm sure you get out of either machine what you put into it and one can do certain things better than the other. But I'm happy with Mac and will be sticking with them.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

Certainly you bought that PC used?? My bottom-of-the-barrel discontinued Mac LCII that I had new in 1997 had 2MB of RAM I think (I think I upgraded to 4 since 2 couldn't do anything).

24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Agreed. I will never have a virus or malware on my Win XP machine - It is not connected to the internet!

I think we can stop right there. Instead of saying "Mac is better" or "PC is better", I wish people would say, "Mac is better for me because...". Then maybe the conversation would focus on selecting hardware for the needs of the end user instead of blind loyalty to one brand over another.

I still have mine! Use it about once a week or so.

25. Terminal.app macrumors 6502

Terminal.app

To be fair, I know a couple of people who are still using ancient Dell and Compaq laptops with Windows ME on them. :eek: Of course, it's purely out of either technological apathy, a tight budget (or both) that they keep them around as their only computers. But yes, by comparison, I know no Mac users who are still on G3/G4 PowerBooks as their only computers.