For those who preordered AND reserved, a method to the madness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jun 21, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I don't know how many people this may affect, but if you managed to score a preorder for launch day, while also being able to reserve an iPhone 4 at your local Apple store as a backup method or for extra devices to snag, you may be cringe at this thought: it may be in your best interest to NOT activate your iPhone right away when you receive it in the mail first. This goes especially if you're on a Family Plan, wanted multiple devices, or have different lines with different eligibility requirements.

Your first priority is to get the iPhone. If you're working during the day, you're likely to receive it at work, or it may be waiting for you when you get home. If you're going to be home that day, going to the store in the morning first to grab your reserve could be risky that you may miss your package arriving at home, so you're likely to wait for the incoming package first. Trust me, the hardest part is actually getting the iPhone.

Activating your shipped iPhone may mess up the eligibility and pricing when you go to pick up your reservation. If you don't touch the mailed iPhone, there's likely been no other change in your account since you preordered it. So, if you check your eligibility on your carrier's website or network by calling *639# (or whatever star code they use), it should give you a heads up on what to expect when you go to the Apple store.

Activation will likely be problematic during the day. If you're at all familiar with the previous launches, it's best to do it in the comfort of your own home, when you have all your iPhones in your possession, you're nicely settled down, you're not with anyone who needs to leave the store or mall, and you're away from all the chaos. There's no rush at this point - you have the device already. Of course, this might not be possible if you're forced to activate it in the Apple store. Then again, that's why it's important not to set up the iPhone you received in the mail first.

Hope this helps out.

2. nparmelee macrumors 6502

You do know that once the pre-orders through Apple.com started the shipping process from Apple, the upgrade eligibility was updated at AT&T so you would not be able get a reservation upgraded on that line anymore?

3. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Yes, but I've got multiple lines and like many, I attempted to place orders on either number, so I don't know what's actually coming in for who. Besides, those launch day reservations are like a commodity - people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them just because their iPhone came in the mail.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

What he said. It won't matter if you plugged it into iTunes or not. Your eligibility has already changed. This is why i don't understand WTH people did the "backup method." If you ordered a phone for pre-order, your eligibility status with AT&T changes. I mean, you could not be getting the phone till early July, but the status will still be changed. You would go into the store and they would run it through AT&T and say, "Please pay full price." Or, "Your line is not eligible for upgrade right now." :p

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

The way your OP reads, it sounds like you're suggesting that it's possible to get two "full discounts" on the same phone number, simply by not activating a pre-ordered iPhone that gets shipped to you. That's not how it works. :eek:

I hope nobody wastes hours waiting in a line because the think it is. :(

6. Jnyce macrumors regular

what if i preordered the phone and reserved it but buy the reserved phone at the no commitment price? I should be fine correct?

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

No, that is just it. You will not be able to get two phones for the same line. That is what people are saying. This is why I don't get why people did this pre-order with a reserve as a backup thing. If you go into Apple, once they run the check through the AT&T system, they will see that there is an order for an iPhone for that line. You will be turned away even if you did not get your order in the mail yet.

8. Jnyce macrumors regular

understood...but since its a non committed phone the line shouldn't matter?

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

As long as they're selling the no-commitment phones on the launch day, you should be fine.

They're not giving you any upgrade discount towards the price of a no-commitment phone, so your upgrade eligibility isn't a factor.

10. Jnyce macrumors regular

hmm sounds ok since only one line of the family plan was available for the upgrade, i can get the no commited phone for the other line...im will give apple a call just to confirm....thanks

11. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

With this whole debacle on how Apple and AT&T are canceling orders due to some sort of glitch, I'm just glad I covered all my bases by doing both preordering and reserving. I guess that's the "backup method." As long as they see that the eligibility is there (or reverted if the order was cancelled), I'll still have that opportunity on picking up an iPhone at launch day. Some remained not so lucky, even when they did successfully preorder.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

So what happens if I reserved at Best Buy and I pre-ordered thru ATT? Can I go thru w/ my Best Buy reserve and return my ATT Preordre if it comes late?

How does returning a pre-order work? Can I drop it off at a ATT store unopened? What happens?

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple checks with AT&T.

It works for you because you have multiple lines.

So it's unlikely to get get discounted phones on the same line.

14. Jnyce macrumors regular

yeah just spoke to a apple rep at the store....and he said i should be fine..then again you never know with people these days.

15. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Ok well cool. I hope it works out. I was under the impression that AT&T had said they were not selling the phone for no-commit pricing yet. I know they did this initially with the 3GS. But that was just from what I had read in the forums here and there is all kinds of incorrect info going around right now. :D