For those who question the Air's durability...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by spyz88, Mar 1, 2008.

1. spyz88 macrumors regular

well I did a very stupid thing folks. Last night I had my MBA out and had to use my iMac. I put the MBA down on the chair by my iMac. I had to leave and then came back. I walked into the room on the way to my iMac and sat RIGHT on top the MBA. Now I'm a big guy, 6 foot, 220lbs and there was not a DENT or a bend in it. Needless to say I almost had a stroke, but figured to share my experience since I've been reading some blogs questioning its durability. Well I for one can attest to the fact its a VERY durable machine.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

wow-- that is lucky! amazing because there have been a few threads where people have said their air bent after a minor fall!

4. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

You probably didn't do any damage because:
    1. Your butt is probably not sharp and distributed your weight over a "wide" surface.
    2. The cushion of your chair absorbed most of the weight before you realized you're about to make a 1700~3000 damage.
    3. You still think about your MBA every minute of the day, so your reaction time was faster. Had it been older, and having lost your lust over it, you probably would have sat on it without reacting to it a la Matrix (I can totally picture you doing this). :D

Anyways, I'm glad your MBA is fine.

5. spyz88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes number 3 is 100% true LOL :cool:

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i think this can be like the next will it blend series. it can be called will it bend. i want to know how durable a 24 imac is.

7. dahcheet macrumors regular

dahcheet

That is absolutely HILARIOUS!

I'm glad your MBA is ok and that's it's pretty durable....

8. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Matrix move or not... I think the curvature of the external skin makes the MBA pretty tough. In our collection of MBP, 2 MB, and this MBA, I think all of them are pretty solid, but the MBA feels the "solidest" ;) of them all and the MBP the least.

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Last night, I was temporarily distracted and my MBA slid gently off my lap on to the carpeted floor.... No dents, no dings, absolutely no sign of any damage, thank goodness! The only thing which did happen was (not surprisingly) the MagSafe did as it's supposed to do and promptly detached itself. No harm done! I was just thankful that this happened in the bedroom with the carpeted floor rather than out in the main living areas with hardwood flooring!

10. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Invisi shield and you don't have to worry about sliding off you lap. With the cover it becomes slip resistant...

Love it! :D

11. reesephilip macrumors newbie

Hahaha

I agree :D

12. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Holy resurrected thread Batman!!!

13. SR71 macrumors 68000

Lmao. +1

14. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

LOL... I hope no one's butt is sharp...

15. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

MBA's are very durable. Time will prove that.

16. foiden macrumors 6502a

Don't drop them on anything hard, and they're pretty good. But be forewarned. They are pretty easy to chip (aesthetically), so be careful not to bring some hard object around to accidentally impact on them. Thus the nature of aluminum. They look better and for longer than the plastic outer machines, but plastic machines can take some impacts without showing a physical difference where aluminum will. Thus the importance of covers, etc.

17. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

You made my day. Funnest thing I heard almost all week! :D