Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
It really just depends on which mac you get. Some are on par, some are more, expensive and some are less. Case in point, right now the Macbooks are more expensive than many of their PC counterparts by $100-$400. Of course, it is Apples to Oranges because of OS X and most PCs being 15" at that price but nevertheless the low-end-Macbook is more expensive than its PC counterparts.

I would probably still pay the Apple tax but the Rev A problems (discoloration,random shutdown etc.) have me worried that I will be paying extra for something that I will have to send in for repair in a month because I am typically pretty hard on my computers (had two hard drives fail on my 12" Powerbook). So now, I am waiting for Rev B which will hopefully have many of these problems ironed out or I will have to get a PC if that takes too long....:(

iDavidLeeRoth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I live in America's wang too! School hasn't started fro you yet? There is a crapload of traffic at schools nowadays.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
i wouldn't consider apple too expensive because of what you get.
1.osx 10.4 doesn't have 114000 known viruses
2.you can have both windows and osx on same machine due to bootcamp
3.the pc equivalent is the same price or even more expensive.

just buy a mac

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
iDavidLeeRoth said:
I live in America's wang too! School hasn't started fro you yet? There is a crapload of traffic at schools nowadays.

Yeah, school already started but I have just been using the labs (shudder) until I decide what I want...

macman2790 said:
i wouldn't consider apple too expensive because of what you get.
1.osx 10.4 doesn't have 114000 known viruses
2.you can have both windows and osx on same machine due to bootcamp
3.the pc equivalent is the same price or even more expensive.

just buy a mac

1. That is true, but people on this board make out XP to be alot worse than it is. In the last couple of years M$ has done a pretty good job of patching it up...Also, if you understand how to setup a firewall (hardware and software), get a couple of spyware checkers, and a good anti-virus program you are probably Ok.
2. This is a good point and iLife alone makes OSX much more useful over Windows.
3. As I said above, it depends on the model you pick...iMac and Mac Pro, Yes! Macbook or Macbook Pro not so much....

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
iDavidLeeRoth said:
OSX86 would not work on my amd system. It's not worth the trouble anyway.

Remind me, what does this have to do with the topic?

Non-sequitur of the day.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Enough flaming already !

suneohair said:
Yes, that is the benefit of Apples end to end hardware/software solution. They can optimize to make it run on any Apple they want.

I am an IT consultant (and a photographer) - I use both platforms and both have their advantages / disadvantages. With the power of CPUs and GPUs these days, who cares which machine runs faster, I use a G4 Powerbook on a regular basis for my photography business and other than Hard Drive space issues, it is still more than fast enough for all of my needs. My next purchase will be a 23" iMac (if rumours can be believed) and I am sure it will give me years of service. Unless you are running high-end games, the differences between machines is negligible !!!!!:mad:

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
Scarlet Fever said:
All that, and the added fact the PCs can't (legally or securely) run Mac OS X, while Macs can run the big 3 (Mac OS, Linux, Win XP).

But the Mac cannot run Solaris. I like Solaris.

It seems like for the complete gig, I would need a Mac and a Sun AMD box.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
iDavidLeeRoth said:
What's wrong with the macbook?

It is slightly overpriced, but ignoring that it has some build quality issues. I may be overblowing these but I don't want to have to send mine back 2 or 3 times to get it to stop randomly shutting down or replace the palm rest because it turned yellow. I have read estimates that say that anywhere between 1% to 20% of Macbooks have these problems but nobody really knows. I would say that those who have had to send theirs in for repair most likely wouldn't say that they are a good value.

ajbrehm said:

Halarious! What are you an Oracle programmer?

Haha what if I want to use Yellowdog? Does that mean I have to go back to PPC Macs?

davegoody said:
With the power of CPUs and GPUs these days, who cares which machine runs faster...

I agree with you here but it is still frustrating concerning the Macbook that a $200 less expensive PC laptop has a DVD burner and sometimes a dedicated graphics chip and larger hard drive.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
GFLPraxis said:
Are you kidding me? This is the cheapest card in the Geforce 7 series. Not a bad card by any means but not even comparable to the Radeon X1600 in the iMac.

The iMac has a far superior graphics card.

The Dell has expandable PCIe slots... a feature you have to pay in excess of $2000 to get for the Mac "PRO" because in the mindset of Apple's marketoids you got to be a professional to even want to upgrade your computer!

The consumer i Computers are for kids only, not professionals! No, you can't use a non pro computer to do documents, work processing is a professional activity that generates revenue for you!

Apple's market segmentation sometimes annoys me. And to the OP, well, I don't really care much about your comparison since the Dell is in some ways better than the iMac, but what I do know is a friend's sister was after a laptop recently, so I got my friend to recommend her a Mac, after she did her own shopping she settled for a Samsung PC laptop. Not too sure about the exact specs, but it came with Core Duo and a 256mb graphics chip... that for $2000 (well local currency), to put that into perspective the 2Ghz CD Macbook costs $2600 and the MBP with the 256MB x1600Pro card (nothing fantastic I got to add) costs a whopping $3900.

Oh, I neglected to say the Samsung came with a nice magnesium case too, none of the bullcrap glossy plastic or easy dentable aluminium ****.

Macs cheap? Dream on.

We Mac users may be getting fleeced, but that's fine, it is our choice to be able to use MacOS. But do not ever, for a single moment, try to delude yourself that Macs are actually cheaper than their PC counterparts, it makes you way bigger an idiot that just any other Mac user.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
It CAN (or WILL run Solaris)

ajbrehm said:

As the Mac can run Windows, it is, in theory possible to run Solaris too (the Intel version). You may not be able to do it yet, directly but you will, mark my words ! - People have managed to get Vista running via bootcamp so Linux, Solaris etc should follow

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
dejo said:
The cheap keyboard you got with that cheap PC doesn't appear to be working properly. It's mixing up the letters. ;)

I was typing on a macbook :| -- and it was 2 in the morning.

If you want to word process, for $400 you can get a very decent new DELL for internet surfing and word. Believe me i know Mac's are better you don't need to tell me that. But the bottom line is untill You can get a new mac for $400, mac will never be able to dethrone dell.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
generik said:
The Dell has expandable PCIe slots... a feature you have to pay in excess of $2000 to get for the Mac "PRO" because in the mindset of Apple's marketoids you got to be a professional to even want to upgrade your computer!

The consumer i Computers are for kids only, not professionals! No, you can't use a non pro computer to do documents, work processing is a professional activity that generates revenue for you!

Apple's market segmentation sometimes annoys me. And to the OP, well, I don't really care much about your comparison since the Dell is in some ways better than the iMac, but what I do know is a friend's sister was after a laptop recently, so I got my friend to recommend her a Mac, after she did her own shopping she settled for a Samsung PC laptop. Not too sure about the exact specs, but it came with Core Duo and a 256mb graphics chip... that for $2000 (well local currency), to put that into perspective the 2Ghz CD Macbook costs $2600 and the MBP with the 256MB x1600Pro card (nothing fantastic I got to add) costs a whopping $3900.

Oh, I neglected to say the Samsung came with a nice magnesium case too, none of the bullcrap glossy plastic or easy dentable aluminium ****.

Macs cheap? Dream on.

We Mac users may be getting fleeced, but that's fine, it is our choice to be able to use MacOS. But do not ever, for a single moment, try to delude yourself that Macs are actually cheaper than their PC counterparts, it makes you way bigger an idiot that just any other Mac user.

so nice to see an apple fan who still has their head on straight. i couldnt agree more. alot of them are so delusional its almost cult like.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
dejo said:
But then you still have to pay nearly half that for Word.

and whats the solution on Mac? pay another 150 for Word? sure iWork is like 70, but it still costs money -- and doesn't come with some essential things like a spreadsheat prog.

besides; if you have half a brain; openoffice works fine! and is free.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
ljump12 said:
and whats the solution on Mac? pay another 150 for Word? sure iWork is like 70, but it still costs money -- and doesn't come with some essential things like a spreadsheat prog.
Neither does Word. ;)
ljump12 said:
True. You mighta wanted to reference OpenOffice instead of Word in the first place. ;)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You can limp along continually dealing with cheap crap or buy something that
works.

I know I can drive 36 miles each way to work in a $500.00 used Geo,
but life is too short for me to suffer that way.

My G5 has been running 24/7 for more than a year.
I've had to reboot a few times and I reformatted my drives, so that took a while, but otherwise, this machine has stayed on since I bought it May 2005.

That's what I expect from my Macs.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
FFTT said:
You can limp along continually dealing with cheap crap or buy something that
works.

I know I can drive 36 miles each way to work in a $500.00 used Geo,
but life is too short for me to suffer that way.

My G5 has been running 24/7 for more than a year.
I've had to reboot a few times and I reformatted my drives, so that took a while, but otherwise, this machine has stayed on since I bought it May 2005.

That's what I expect from my Macs.

A properly set up PC can be just as stable, it just takes some basic knowhow that's all.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
ljump12 said:

What are you trying to accomplish? Seriously.

We do not care what you think. This is MacRumors. We are Mac fans.

It's a shocker I know!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
matttrick said:
so nice to see an apple fan who still has their head on straight. i couldnt agree more. alot of them are so delusional its almost cult like.
I agree. I have a samsung laptop, and couldn't be happier. Although my next laptop will be a mac since Samsung doesn't sell their computers in the USA and, comparativley, the MacBook is probably the average price right now, but yeah.. I'll bet she likes that Samsung a lot!

ljump12 said:
macs are expensive...

I can build a decent PC for 6-700.... macs jsut dont coem that cheap..
and I CHALLENGE to you to find me a new running mac for $400

EDIT:: 100th post whoop!
I'm sure you could find one here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.