For those who use AUTOCAD!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MorzillA, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I have a question regarding Drafting programs like AUTOCAD. I was looking at the Apple download site when I ran into this. It seems promising as my boss would like to transition the rest of the employees from PC to Macs (me excluded :D). But since AUTOCAD is a MS based app. he is stuck for now until something comes along.
    I know that there is an app called TurboCAD for the macs but I'm not so sure which of the two is better.
    So now I am asking the PROs in this matter, are these the only apps for drafting if so which is better (pros/cons), if not then are there any other drafting app that can do the same job (if better) as AUTOCAD?

P.S.
    I know that one can use AUTOCAD in Parallels but I don't know too much (nor trust too much) about Parallels.

As always thank you for all the replies and comments!

:apple:

2. nanvinnie macrumors regular

I'm not a big autocad user, but I do use Solidworks regularly on my computer. My company is 100% PC but I like to bring in my MBP to do my work. I run it both on Vmware Fusion and Bootcamp. Both work very well on my computer. I haven't had any problems with it crashing or freezing. I know I can't answer your auto/turbo cad question, but as a reference to running in a virtualization environment, it should be fine.

3. jmerk macrumors member

CAD options for the Mac...

If you are looking for architecture software, CAD is so 90's, it is time to step into the 21st century and use a BIM (Building Information Modeling) program.

If you just want to draw a bunch of lines then TurboCAD can do the job but if you want to draw plans, while at the same time creating a 3d model, and creating a schedule (and doing tons of other cool stuff) then you should be using BIM software.

On the Mac, ArchiCAD is THE option. It is cross-platform (Mac or PC), you can render 3d views and export files as .dwg for consultants, etc.

I am working at an architectural firm in Minneapolis and we use a BIM program called "Revit" which is the de facto BIM modeler on the PC (and owned by Autodesk-the maker of AutoCAD). Too bad we don't use Macs...:mad:

gl,
    jm

4. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Check out Vectorworks and HighDesign.

I used to use Autocad when on Windows platform, it really was a truly appalling piece of crap. Originally I trained on Microstation and found Vectorworks a very capable replacement for both, it also has the advantage of add ons to suit different industries.

Since promotion I don't use CAD in anger anymore but I do keep a copy of HighDesign around for those times when I need to show the kids how it is done. ;)

5. serpico macrumors regular

serpico

I've used AutoCAD 2009 with VMware on my MacBook Pro. Works as fast as using a PC with Windows. I'm learning Vectorworks on the mac though it is very different for me and takes time to re-learn everything. As someone above posted, BIM seems to be the next thing and I'm going to look into Revit. Thanks for the reminder! :D

6. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

a lot of this decision revolves around what type of engineering you are doing.. for mechanical, there are better/different softwares ie solidworks

for ach. desktop you can switch to BIM

however if you are doing civil engineering your only real competitors are terra model BLAH!!!! and microstation MAJOR BLAH!!!

i have worked as the cadd manager in civil engineering for 5 years now and Civil 3d is the way of the future for civil work.....

7. MorzillA thread starter macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Wow

What great responses I have gotten and the variety of them as well! MANY THANKS to all!

Well I work for a land surveying Co. and the artist here use and know PC, I have noticed that one iMac has Parallels in it but for some reason it don't work....(no surprise) and both Macs dont have VMware nor anything pertaining to windows, no, not even Bootcamp.

So I'm looking to use an AUTOCAD replacement for Mac only. I will look into the programs ya'll have suggested and present them to my boss.

At the same time I will keep looking for more replies!!!

Once again thank you! thank you! thank you! Our :apple: community is by far the most amazing ever!!!

OH BTW!!! is any one going to the new APPLE store in Dadeland Mall in Miami, Fl? if so let me know of your impressions!!

:apple:

8. wheelhot macrumors 68020

I want solidWorks for Mac, don't know when and if it will ever happen :(

9. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

well seeing how you are working in civil engineering/ land surveying, you really need to qualify you program by your surveying equipment. What kind of data collectors are you using? if youre using trimble stuff then you can get it off using their software and import it into about anything. If youre using some of the lesser known data collecors, or even the old HP 48gx calculators to store your data then you will really need to look at what can use their information once it is exported.

10. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Are any companies using Google Sketchup (rhymes with ketchup) or is it not complex enough?

11. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

our landscape architects used sketchup before google bought it and they loved it.. but it wasnt much more than a cartoon for adding buildings to their real designs. They did their real design work on paper and in autocad then added some scenery to pretty up the picture with sketchup.

12. MorzillA thread starter macrumors 6502

MorzillA

......:confused: well you got me there! I'm not one of the artist nor the surveyors, just your typical lonely office employee, who's learning the trade one step at a time :)!!

So far there has been no talk about any upgrading. Since where I work at and the housing industry are tied to one another ( -$ :( ), so for now I guess we'll have to wait!!!

13. nanvinnie macrumors regular