For those who use GarageBand....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NunnOtha, Mar 4, 2011.

1. NunnOtha macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I seen the whole GB integration for iPad 2 and while it may seem cool for new users, I don't see major productivity for iPad users that use GB daily. Being a producer, I heavily use the packs that GB on Mac has to offer. Does anyone see pack expansions coming to iPad in the future? Also, I use logic pro for more of my "big boy" jobs. Does anyone see logic coming to iPad? I would be willing to pay good money for logic on iPad! My job would be SOOO much easier!

2. MisturSrs macrumors newbie

I could see Jam Packs coming as "in app purchases" at a discount, though there is a good chance they wont. After all, by not putting them in you'd have more incentive to buy a Mac if you liked the app.

3. NunnOtha thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea I could see that as well, though it'd eat up flash memory. I'd also like to see keyboard note input instead of the touch drumset or visual instruments which I find cheesy to the power user

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

By that logic, including GB at all will cannibalize Mac sales.

I do think there will be in app purchase.

5. MisturSrs macrumors newbie

I mean yeah, it's cheesy, but it is a more visual representation of what you're doing. GarageBand is the consumer/prosumer application so why would they do a touch keyboard for note input? The intuitiveness of the program would be lost, which would be a bad idea for a consumer app on a consumer product.

However the whole 30pin to Guitar port excites me because I can only imagine other companies releasing 30pin midi ports for keyboards and the like. If it has sheet music view (Oh god I hope so) then I could imagine using my keyboard, the iPad placed on the sheet rack hooked up watching the music be written as I play.

6. NunnOtha thread starter macrumors member

Also, apple could add in external mic support for vocals on the fly. They could also implement the songwriting program. Oh what a day that would be, a portable studio!

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I think what you as a professional would probably like to see is a way for gb/logic on the iPad to integrate with the desktop versions, instead of as a standalone version. You could have your mics/instruments etc. Hooked up to the desktop and use the iPad almost as a portable controller of sorts for the main rig. And then the app could also be used for recording rough versions when out and about...but I still don't think you'd ever want to do any actual professional recording on the ipad itself

8. patp Guest

i don't see the iOS version of GB replacing the desktop version. I think its really more of an idea vehicle to get ideas down, help flesh out songs. Once you have your idea set, then transfer the tracks to a MBP or desktop machine and do the real work there.

At least that's they way I intend to approach it. As long as I can have multi tracks to record with, some guitar tones, some loops - I'm good. I won't need or want to excessive plug ins or other packs at this stage.

9. wratran macrumors regular

My daughter started guitar lesson a year ago. During the GB demo, theres something that plug into the dock connector to record your own instrument.

Does anyone have links to these devices...or recomend something?

10. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

Im getting one of these when they come out

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

Something that works on iOS and OSX is worthwhile investment.

11. NunnOtha thread starter macrumors member

Yes iPad 1 had this option to use it as a mixer board for logic. As many have said, I would probably use as a rough draft engine and polish the work on a "real" laptop. I just hope apple doesn't stop supporting GB and updates frequently. I mean possibly iPad 3 we will see 16+ tracks, more packs, and better mixing options if not on iPad 2. I do hope they are able to port logic pro. Id go insane!