For those who use the Otterbox Defender, question about screen cover...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LincolnsiPod, Feb 25, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I have the Otterbox Defender now and I really, really want to like this case, but I hate how the screen cover has that plastic, sticky feel to it when I go to swipe something or tap something out on the iPhone. It's definitely not as smooth as swiping on the actual glass of the iPhone. At times it seems ok, but other times when my hands get rather clammy, I can feel the resistance. Bleh.

Has anyone found a trick or a way to coat the screen so it's less resistant to your fingers, or at least so it doesnt feel like you're rubbing on plastic all the time?

You know, aside from ripping the screen cover out altogether, which is what I'm inclined to do. :D

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

You can use baby powder under the screen, but here is what I do. I have had both the Griffin Survivor and the OtterBox Defender. I popped off both of the built in screen shields and I used my own, how about that? Works like a charm.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

What are you using, Zagg? Did you really pop them out or did it have to be cut out with a razor?

4. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Nope, I just popped them out, you can use any kind of screen shield. Ask many other people around this forums, they have done the same with their Defender.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

The baby powder method or, like I did, simply pop the protector out. I have just a normal generic screen protector on mine and it works fine for me.

6. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Yep, just like what I did. :D

7. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Oddly enough the underside looks fine, no watermarks or any blemishes, it's just the texture on the outside that feels unnatural to me.

Glad to know generic protectors might work. I'll have to go to Best Buy and feel up a few of them to see which ones I like best. :D

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Same here, I couldn't stand the plasticy feel at all.

9. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I was actually using the original screen cover that you're supposed to peel off the iPhone after you unbox it, but I just left it on there until I got the Otterbox. I would have just kept it too, but it wasn't designed to be a protective cover so it already had scratches all over.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's exactly what I did with mine before I switched to the Contour Showcase. Couldn't stand that OB Defender SP so it had to go.

11. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Try these, they're actually VERY good, I'm surprised by the quality.

[​IMG]

12. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I thought the Contour Showcase looked kind of ugly. To each his own though.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I like the Contour Showcase and think it's one of the better underrated cases and provides nice protection.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

+1 Holster sucks but the case is probably one of the best all around cases out there IMO. I think it looks a little different than most cases and that's one of the reasons I dig it :)

15. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Ironically the holster for the Otterbox isn't great either. It's not that it's defective or anything, just that it's HUGE. Makes a bulky thing even more ridiculously bulky. Instead I use it as a stand at work. :D

16. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

That DOES look nice. So you'd opt for the crystal version over the anti-glare?

17. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I use wax, pledge or rainX.

18. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I use anti glare, but they both work awesome!

19. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Anti-glare it is. :D

Re: the wax/pledge/rainx comment, that probably was going to be my next move, but I'm just going to replace the screen instead.

Until the Lifeproof cases come out that is. Those things look glorious (if the hype is to be believed.)