For those who use their iPhone as primary iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OrangeCuse44, Sep 18, 2008.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

How does everyone fare battery wise using their iPhone as their primary iPod during the day? Specifically people who use it commuting to work, as a phone during the day, and commuting back home. Do you get a full day's out of your battery?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have so long as I do not unlock the screen constantly or change songs around much. I guess I can say I have played it from 6 am to about 4 pm and still had some battery left.

3. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I do, but I also have a car charger when I am using it in the car. But I do get good battery life when I don't use the charger as long as I have the screen off.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I normally do a 25-30 minute walk to school and back with the iPod function on and sometimes browsing Safari..umm and yes I leave my iPhone on during the school day, i get a full day's worth of battery life..right now(its 10PM almost) I would say I have a 80% battery life..and I used my iPhone for about 40min usage...send/recieve like 10 texts today. did NOT use Sarari today to browse on my way to school(normally I visit like 5 or so webpages and here of course)

so I think my battery is pretty near good..

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I use it at the gym in the morning, on the commute to work, at work a bit, then on the commute home and sometimes at night. All the while, I freely make and get phone calls, txt and surf a bunch and all that.

It easily lasts me more than a whole day. If you replace a couple of those music sessions (gym, commute, etc.) with video or game sessions - it gets a little tight, but still lasts a whole day for me (especially after the update).

That's my 2c.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I CONSTANTLY use the iPod on my phone. As long as I don't do anything else on it then I can pretty much play the iPod for hours on end and barely drain the battery.

7. fteter macrumors member

My 2G gets worked at least 14 hours every day. It's my iPod for a 90 train ride to work...usually checking email and catching up via Google Reader & web surfing with Safari during that same commute. Two 25-minute walks each day listening to Pandora Radio on the iPhone. 8 hours sporadically surfing & emailing (on WiFi) - heavy iPod use during this same 8 hour period. Back to the iPod/email/surfing routine for the 2 hour commute home. Also used as phone & primary text message device (including Twitter) all day long. On a really heavy use day, I'll burn anywhere between one-third and one-half of my battery charge.

This thing is an absolute workhorse for me.

8. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

That is IMPRESSIVE!

9. Evev12 macrumors regular

I do use it as my primary music player and also easily get a full day's use out of it, but for those who don't, why not just charge it while you're at work (or just keep it docked). For those who are interested I recently went on vacation and bought a great mobile charger to use while on the plane/beach. Its very compact, quick to charge AND gives me a full 5 charges, which take about a half hour each (and you can use the device while charging). The thing I like most though, is that it's compatible with just about any phone - as I might be getting rid of my iphone, I wouldn't have purchased it if it wasn't. It also works with a number of other electronic devices AND laptops I believe. That's also another option.

10. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

The iPhone battery life isn't as bad as people seem to think it is. You don't need any 'secondary iPod', unless it's for capacity reasons.

I easily get a full day out of mine. 3G on. Screen set to middle (Auto on). EQ on Jazz. Sound Check on.

Surf with Safari for about 30 minutes to an hour. Listen to music for about 4/5 hours. Take about 10 calls avg. Send about 10 SMS avg.

11. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I have no problems listening to mine commuting into to work and back (75 mins each way) often playing games along the way. I'll use the phone for calls, surfing, emails, text and calendar regularly during the day and still have half a battery left by the time I get home (occassionally less if I make a lot of voice calls). All of this with 3G, location services and wifi on (but not bluetooth).

Having said that - it took about a week for my battery to to settle down and reach that level of performance. Also, when I find myself in an area with low 3g coverage, the battery seems to drain a bit faster (presumably because it is constantly switching between 2 and 3g).

12. trixnrice macrumors member

dude...my iphone is on constant from 10am to 9 pm...accessing ipod every hour or so and moderate usage...i'll still have 30% battery left. ipod battery life for iphone is good imo.

13. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

If using the iPod on your phone kills your battery that fast, you have a problem.

I use the iPhone as my iPod, and if I'm just listening to music I can get 2-3 hours of battery before the symbol goes down at all.

But then again I think I got lucky. I can pretty consistently get two days use, and that's with all kinds of browsing and calling, as well as iPod use throughout all of that.