For those whose IT admin restricts iphone exchange access

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dauerhippo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dauerhippo macrumors regular

My IT dept doesn't support exchange sync on the iphone yet, and I had tried everything imaginable - but I couldn't get it to work.

My brother-in-law recommended synchronica (www.synchronica.com). I'm not totally sure I understand how it works, but basically - it checks your exchange mail, and you set your iphone to sync to it's server (instead of your own exchange server) and then somehow, all your email (and folders) are completely synced!

They have a free 60 day trial. Hope this helps someone!

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

if the mail is going to someone else's servers, i would suggest you find out either from your acceptable use policy or someone in IT you can trust if there is a policy against doing that, you could potentially be opening yourself to a world of trouble if you are indeed violating a policy and someone calls you on it

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For god sake pay attention to this person. If your IT won't support the device it's for a reason, like it or not. Putting your corporate e-mail out to an unapproved 3rd party (however it works, I can't imagine :confused: ) is a bad bad bad idea.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Listen to both of these gents. Wise words!

Don't get yourself in trouble with your IT staff and/or corporate policies. They are there for a reason whether you agree or not.

5. rball1979 macrumors regular

It could get you sacked in most companies....If they don't support exchange there is obviously a reason..

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah IT Staff is lazy. :)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't start down that road :rolleyes:

8. redsoxunixgeek macrumors regular

redsoxunixgeek

You can also turn on the Outlook Mobile feature on in Outlook 2007 - which is similar to the Blackberry Desktop Redirector. Downside is if you want your E-mail to come to your phone you have to leave outlook open.

9. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Where is this feature?

10. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I smell the fresh scent of spam in this topic.

11. dauerhippo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the concern, guys. I'm actually a grad student and this is all about my xxxx.edu account that used to be non-exchange, but they recently transitioned everyone over to an exchange server (why, I'm not sure). So, the worst that could happen is a nasty email from IT. I'm not really dealing with very sensitive information.

I'm just glad I finally found something that actually works! I did speak to IT, and they promised that they will be supporting iPhones by September, as soon as they figure it all out.

Thanks again!